In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

,45 Colt for whitetails?

ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a nice Winchester 1873 replica that I want to try for whitetals this year in Wisconsin. Anyone have any experience with this cartridge? Factory ammo and 100 yards or less.
Thanks, Tom

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffalo Bore has ammo that pretty much matches 44 mag ballistics shot a nice buck two years ago with my Ruger blackhawk he never knew what hit him
  • ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    Gary, I am concerned that ammo may be a little to "hot" for the 1873 toggle action.
    Tom
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't used the 45 colt Hornady Leverevolution yet but it may work for you I think it is at standard pressures

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-225-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I definately would not use Buffalo Bore's +p .45 Colt loads in a 1873 action. They do offer a few standard pressure loads which are safe in any .45 Colt chambered gun of post WWII manufacture. It's within SAAMI specs. They have both lead and hollowpoint loads that would be just fine in your rifle. I have shot some of their 255 grain standard pressure loads in my .45 Vaquero and they were pretty good loads. Buffalo Bore has a new full wadcutter load that supposedly will penetrate at least 24" of tissue--more than enough for a deer.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=7

I have also used Hornady Leverevolutions in both .45 Colt and .44 Mag and that brand would be perfectly fine in your gun.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I learned the hard way--Don't use Corbon. Too aggressive of a hollow point--Not enough penetration.

Ben
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have shot many White-Tail deer with 45ACP swaged lead semi wadcutter . Never had one run off yet . Shot placement is Key any factory 45 COLT in a rifle is more then enough .You are not hunting Cape Buffalo
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a couple boxed of cowboy action loads, or standard pressure jacketed bullets. Listen to what perry shooter says, and you should have no problems killing a deer. Put the bullet behind the shoulder into the heart/lung area, and you will have some backstraps for the grill.

Best
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have shot many White-Tail deer with 45ACP swaged lead semi wadcutter . Never had one run off yet . Shot placement is Key any factory 45 COLT in a rifle is more then enough .You are not hunting Cape Buffalo

+1000000000000000000
    I've ate a whole bunch of deer that were shot with "under-powered" rounds.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cowboy loads are, by design, intended to be low velocity/low recoil rounds for what amounts to rapid competitive plinking.

A 255 grain bullet at 700 feet per second is nothing to sneeze at, and it ought to be adequate for a deer at close range, but I think there are just better choices out there.

In particular, any of the "personal protection" rounds should give you better velocities, and probably better bullet construction, and these ought to work fine for hunting a 150 lb whitetail deer.

Main thing is that effective range with a slow handgun bullet, even from a rifle, is going to be pretty limited. Slow velocity means a rainbow-like trajectory, and once you get out past 100 yards, even small differences in distance are going to translate into large differences in bullet drop. Keep the shots short, and you'll be fine.
  • ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I agree about the cowboy action loads. I'm thinking that I might try the Leverevolution loads if I can find them. I've shot lots of deer, but always used something a little bigger. I wanted to make it more "interesting." My shots will probably be in the 50 yard range. Thanks for all the advice.
    Tom