In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning Buckmark

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Saw a Buckmark Classic Plus at Bass Pro today. Looks like a nice gun,but I've never shot one. I usually shoot High Standards and Rugers,but am looking for something different.Anybody have any experience or opinions on this gun,good or bad? This might be my "to me,from me" Christmas present this year.I would appreciate any input,thanks.

Comments

• Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning Buckmark and I'm starting to get a lot of misfires that will fire in my Ruger.It really doesn't have that many rounds through it but I suspect a firing pin change would help.Is this a repair that I can do our should I take it to a gunsmith? The firing pin strikes very high on the rim.Great pistol and very accurate. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Just looking for your opinions on the Buckmark pistol,reliability,accuracy etc.. as there quite rare over here..& i know you guys know .. cheers & regarsd [:)]
    edited November -1
    I have just gotten a browning buckmark camper special in stainless and have been looking for a stainless weaver base for it. I can find blues ones but I haven't had any luck at a stainless one. Does anybody even know if there is anybody that makes a stainless one to fit it.
    edited November -1
    Guys I have a Browning buckmark pistol that keeps jamming.. I think it needs a good cleaning, but can't figure out how to break it down.. Anybody got any info on it..
    edited November -1
    WHAT DO THE LETTERS MS,NS,MEAN WHEN DESCRIBING A BROWNING BUCKMARK PISTOL.robbyij
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning Buckmark, lightly used and in great condition but about 20% of the rounds fail to fire (various ammo)The firing pin strikes the very edge of the rim and the ones that don't fire I shoot through my S&W 22A with no misfires.Has any of the members experienced the same problem with Buckmark and if so did you correct the problem. Thanks
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw that problem in my BIL Buckmark, lots of misfires. I was going to redo the firing pin to correct the issue.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes I have seen this on a pistol used by a lady I was coaching shooting about 200 rounds a week I took Barrel off and cleaned the barrel breach face as well as the slide breach face and the rest
    of the pistol BARREL BORE Then lubed all parts With FP 10 oil no more misfires This gun needs to be kept clean the slide just sets on frame . 22 ammo in a straight Blow Back gun is very dirty The slide does not fully close and the hammer has to finish fully chambering the round making the the remaining energy not enough to set off the primer The chamber on your BUCKMARK may be tighter than other brand of pistol with barrel removed take ammo and see if it will fully chamber under its own weight with barrel pointed straight down If not you need to clean chamber or get different ammo the chamber is Larger than bore use 25 Cal brush in chamber only not push through the bore
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shooting a Rock Island XT this morning, with a similar problem. The pistol had been cleaned prior to shooting, so that wasn't the problem.

Turns out it was the ammo. They must of chambered it with a brand new reamer? Aguila Super extras continually misfired, while Remington Golden Bullets had a 95% success rate.

If the chamber is undersized or misaligned where it merges with the rifling. Causing interference with the bullets in certain brands of ammo. Your likely to have similar fail to fire problems.

Chuck a 22 caliber bore mop in a electric drill. Coat it with Flitz or Simichrome. Polish the chamber and origin of rifling at high speed with the drill. Till it has a mirror finish. Hope that resolves your problem.
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a pre-2000 Buckmark, good luck at finding a new firing pin. Browning ceased manufacture of firing pins of that era.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no problem with my xt-22 but have run a finish reamer in other 22 lr semi auto...yep shell should drop all the way in..
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with my X-T in addition to the bad chamber, was a under powdered main/hammer spring. Armscor/Rock Island shipped the first ones, with a 16 LB spring. Soon as I put a 17 LB Wolf in it, the problem was resolved.

Might consider putting a new main/hammer spring, in the Buckmark.