In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S &W 41 ejection problem

khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a 41 on GB auctions. With standard vel ammo it fails to eject the first round, OK after that. With HV ammo no problem, the 41 is designed for SV. Is my problem too strong a recoil spring?

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you "topping off" the magazine i.e. chamber a round then replace that round so that the magazine has 10 rounds in it? The gun runs fine after the first round FTE's so I would think there might be too much up-pressure on the bottom of the slide from the filled magazine. I don't top off my M-41 and have never had that problem with target velocity loads.
    FWIW
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard velocity ammo isn't all the same. Just came back from shooting, a Italian Bernardelli, Model 100 target pistol. The CCI Standard Velocity ammo, functioned much better than the Aguila Standard Velocity ammo. The Aguila seemed under powered.

Buy a few boxes from different manufacturers. To see if one will function better.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine will, too.
    Wolff has reduced recoil springs for soft ammo.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to tell us exactly where the fired case is after you pull the trigger. If the fired case is still in the chamber, then you have a "failure to extract".

When you load a mag, do you do that with the slide locked back, & release the slide by pressing down on the slide release? Or, do you pull back the slide & gently guide it forward?

Neal
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    just a note these guns were mostly used by NRA BULLS-EYE shooters
    when either shooting in a match or practice 99.9% of shooters loaded 5 rounds only as the person calling a match will give one of many Commands one of which is[red]WITH A MAGAZINE OF 5 ROUNDS LOAD& be ready/red]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd start with taking everything including the magazines apart and cleaning, followed by proper lubrication. While apart I'd use a microfiber towel and feel for burrs on all working surfaces.

added compare the springs or swap the other one over and see what happens.
  • khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tried the 5 other mags that work fine with my other 41, same problem. I have loaded 5 rounds and that makes no difference. The fire shell is extracted from the chamber but the slide isn't going back far enough to hit the ejector. It does work fine with HV but the gun isn't made for them.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    2 items to review for a 41:

1. As stated above, check spring. Most come with a 6 1/2 or 7 lb spring. Change the spring.

2. 41's have extractor issues. Long story on how to fix that issue, so look up extractor fix: guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm