In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 colt commander 9mm luger please help

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
So I bought this gun. it came in the dark red box with the yellow label the serial number matches the gun.
the gun is a 9mm luger,I didn't know colt made a 9mm luger (para) in the late 80's?
the barrel is marked 9 MM luger parrabellum but it does not say colt (or any brand name) on it.
the magazine is marked 9mm luger and colt with a rampant colt emblem

the roll marks on the slide look just like a pre-70 series it is not marked 70 series, or mark 4 it has a 70 series action without the extra safety. every other colt I have owned with this style box was an 80 series but I am just starting to buy commander models and they are different apparently.
the model is 04614 and the serial # is FC 188xx
can someone tell me what year the gun was made? and if the barrel should be marked colt or if it's an after market barrel and if you have a picture of a similar gun could you send me a picture that shows what the slide should look like
thanks so much

Comments

• MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a "Colt" Commander that did not say Colt on it. I have an early 50's model lightweight in 38 Super. I also owned one made in 1967...another 38 Super. I know these Commanders were available in 9mm through at least the late 60's in the lightweights.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The FC prefix is off my charts.
    Call Colt and they will tell you the year made but nothing else without paying for a factory letter.
    1-800-962-COLT

There is no such thing as a Series 70 Commander.
    The Mk IV Series 70 Government Model has the Accurizor collet bushing. There is not room enough in the Commander slide for the collet.

My 1991A1 factory barrel is marked 9mm Luger Parabellum, no Colt trademark on the barrel, so yours is probably original, too.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    post 1983 Not all colts built after the Government "FULL SIZE" model changed over to the series 80 safety had the extra trigger parts .Maybe you got lucky and yours is the older design.
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This barrel is marked Colt
    [GBGuns048_599x800.jpg/img]
  • South40South40 Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 9mm Commander with a "FC" serial number. The barrel is NOT marked Colt, only Cal 9mm Luger Parabellum. S40

Colt_Left.jpg
    Colt_Right.jpg
    Colt_Top.jpg
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by South40
    I have a 9mm Commander with a "FC" serial number. The barrel is NOT marked Colt, only Cal 9mm Luger Parabellum. S40

Colt_Left.jpg
    Colt_Right.jpg
    Colt_Top.jpg

the bottom two pictures are exactly what I have, can yu show me a picture of the other side? mine says 9mm luger
    edited November -1
    Other side of what? Top pic shows other side of slide --- S40
    edited November -1
    yeah it's way different than mine. Mine is more like the 70 series with the small roll mark. wierd. I wonder when it changed. do you have the dark red box or wood grain? or did it come in a plastic case?
    edited November -1
    Box is long gone, but I recall that it was black with gold lettering -- S40
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by South40
    Box is long gone, but I recall that it was black with gold lettering -- S40

that would be a box I have never seen....