In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Union Switch and Signal 1911 A1 45

buffalotradingbuffalotrading Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have two with consecutive numbers. They both have a round circle behind the twigger with the letters ROD engraved on them in the circle.
Could you tell me the meaning of this and also could you give me an estimated value.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most 1911-A1's have the inspection stamping (RCD on USS if I'm not mistaken)on the left side of the frame behind the trigger. My guess is that that would be the same with the Union Switch & Signal pistols.
    Honestly, if the examples you have are in very good condition and are consecutive matching numbers, they could be quite valuable. 10K plus to th right collector. But now is not the best time to sell, so I would sit on them for awhile if I could.

If pictures are possible, I'm sure there are many on this site that would love to see them.

Aaron
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    This mark should be R.C.D. inside the circle it stands for RobertC. D0wnie Lt Colonel Pittsburg Ordance District . this was the inspector on ALL Union.Switch. & Signal . 1911A1 pistols Value is best obtained by Hands On inspection Because these pistols have a number of small parts that are only on USS pistols when shipped from the factory . The next best is many detailed pictures of both pistols from all angles and then pictures of both Hammers ,Grip Safety,Mainspring housing, Safety Slide stop & barrel. along with grips removed from frame both inside and outside. Every thing depends on condition and if all parts are original . a 99% gun may be worth twice as much as a 95% gun . all pictures need to be of the Highest Quality up close 6" away with good natural lighting. You COULD have a very desirable pair of pistols.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    photos please !
  • the41cadguythe41cadguy Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Repeat, if you take them to somebody for valuation, and they offer to buy them, DON'T SELL THEM TO HIM! Don't let that person know where you live. Pay attention to the advice given you by the responders on this forum, for you have a pair of possibly the most desirable 1911 Colts around. If your kids are starving, if the bank is repossessing your house tomorrow, DON'T SELL THESE GUNS CASUALLY OR TO THE PERSON OFFERING WHAT SEEMS TO BE A FABULOUS AMOUNT.