In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 59 Rifle stock

WallenSDWallenSD Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am cleaning my Model 59 and I'm trying to get different ideas on what to use on the stock. I don't want to mess up the value of the gun so I'm not doing any sanding. I was also thinking about useing satin poly due to the fact I am a woodworker and could make it as smooth as a baby's bottom but there again I don't beleive that was a finish they would use at that time so the poly is out. I was told to use a good quality furniture cleaner/polish oil on it which I did and it did a great job on cleaning. The problem I have now is even though the cleaner/polish worked great on the cleaning of it I would like to have a little more satin sheen. I was told I could use a product called "True Oil" to get the sheen I am looking for. My question is, has anyone here ever used this oil before (or have another suggestion) and would it effect the value? I'm thinking, it being an oil product and not a poly, that it really shouldn't. Also I have cleaned all metal parts and by cleaning them it took it to the metal which should be fine since there doesn't seem to be any bluing on the gun. I also wanted to get some ideas about bluing the parts. Should or should not??

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    DONT TRY TO REFINISH any part steel or wood .It will decrease rather then increase the value.after cleaning every thing use something like a good paste wax to protect the gun. I like Renaissance Micro Crystallie Wax Polish This is what many museums use.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1, Winchester Model 59 was a shotgun with a alloy receiver, ( unless they made a Model 59 rifle also? )

#2, If it now doesn't have any finish on the metal, be it blueing or anodizing. I wouldn't be worrying about messing up it's value. You can do anything you want to do to it at this point, without affecting it's value.
  • WallenSDWallenSD Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea rufe, They made around 9200 of them in 1930-'31 and were discontinued in '31. About the metal, I have pulled several up on the computer and they all seem to have, what looks like, the metal only. There is one for sale on this site with the same silver metal look to it. When I took the stock off the gun to clean it, there was not a color there either except for some lite surface rust like the rest. Dunno