In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1995 CZ-75 Compact

Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me the differences between the this older model CZ compact versus the current model(s)? It seems that the only thing that I can see is a change in the way the safety works, but I am sure that there are other significant differences between the models.

I would also appreciate the opinions of the resident experts as to whether or not the older model is "better" or more desirable than the current line of CZ pistols.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help with any of your specific questions. But if none of our folks can help? You might go to the CZ Collectors forum. Awhile back I had questions regarding the .22 version that CZ makes, called the Kadet. I was able to find a subforum there devoted to the Kadet, that answered most of my questions.
  • Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I can't help with any of your specific questions. But if none of our folks can help? You might go to the CZ Collectors forum. Awhile back I had questions regarding the .22 version that CZ makes, called the Kadet. I was able to find a subforum there devoted to the Kadet, that answered most of my questions.

Rufe, thank you for your referral to the CZ forum. I posted the same question but got no meaningful answers. The "experts" on the CZ forum aren't as experienced as one may think. Most seem to be "enthusiast" types who are not as technically oriented as the folks on this forum. I am still hoping that someone on this forum may still have a meaningful comment or opinion on this topic.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you talk about the "Compact" model and "new" and "older" what are you exactly referring to?

Can you point out what you're referring to here:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

or here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75#Variants_and_Derivatives

I'm not aware of any real changes in something like the PCR Compact model. I think that model has been the same since CZ offered it in the US. Are you referring to the "P-01" changes from a few years ago? (While it's a "CZ-75" that model is being sold/marketed on its own.)

I'm no expert on CZ-75s; I love my PCR Compact (handled one over a decade ago, but just bought one for myself recently), but wasn't aware of any real changes in that line. Where are you seeing this difference in the way the safeties work? Are you mis-comparing a PCR Compact (with just a decocker) and the "regular" Compact with a manual safety?

(I don't mean to answer your question with questions, but my reaction when I read your question the other day was questions because I wasn't aware of "older" and "newer" variations.)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Manoa-Fisherman

Rufe, thank you for your referral to the CZ forum. I posted the same question but got no meaningful answers. The "experts" on the CZ forum aren't as experienced as one may think. Most seem to be "enthusiast" types who are not as technically oriented as the folks on this forum. I am still hoping that someone on this forum may still have a meaningful comment or opinion on this topic.

Unfortunately I know what you mean. Some of the other forums I've been on in the past, have been that way. It seems that the posters are evenly divided between fanboys and trolls. Trying to make relevant comments, just exposes you to brain dead ridicule. .
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Manoa-fisherman,

I own a CZ-40P. Basically, a compact design based off the CZ-75. It's really a .40 cal production prototype of the P-01 through P-07 series of CZ pistols. (based off the CZ 40B, a 1911 similar frame in .40 cal. The slide rails are opposite.)
    About the same time CZ also came up with two models in 9mm. One a de-cocker like mine and the other, with a true safety. Both called compacts. Yours seems to be one of these models.

I'm not sure what exactly yours is, but does it have a safety? or a de-cocker? Interesting concept that the safety is the long pull you get when the pistol is 'de-cocked'. The safety of course is self explanatory.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Manoa-fisherman,

I own a CZ-40P. Basically, a compact design based off the CZ-75. It's really a .40 cal production prototype of the P-01 through P-07 series of CZ pistols. (based off the CZ 40B, a 1911 similar frame in .40 cal. The slide rails are opposite.)
    About the same time CZ also came up with two models in 9mm. One a de-cocker like mine and the other, with a true safety. Both called compacts. Yours seems to be one of these models.

I'm not sure what exactly yours is, but does it have a safety? or a de-cocker? Interesting concept that the safety is the long pull you get when the pistol is 'de-cocked'. The safety of course is self explanatory.

Mine is the original with the normal safety, not the de-cocker version. To use the double action first shot on this model, you have to chamber a round and manually lower the hammer on a live round. That is kind of spooky and kind of negates the value of having a first round double-action first shot. I am sure that it can become second nature to you if you do it every day, but for those who collect these things, it is an interesting lesson in manual dexterity.

Other than that, the CZ 75 Compact is a well built pistol and I just haven't had the time to take it out to shoot. It still has the hang tag on the trigger guard. It was probably made in 1992 and has been sitting in a safe ever since. My most recent acquisition is a FEG GKK in 45 ACP that I really want to try out next to my souped up Argentinian 1911.
    edited November -1
    My most recent acquisition is a FEG GKK in 45 ACP.

Stick to the CZ or the Argie. Feguvar the Hungarian gun company, went out of business years ago. If it breaks your screwed. I understand it really tough to get replacement parts of any kind. The made so many different models with different internal mechanisms, ( Browning High Power/Smith & Wesson ). Even replacement parts are questionable.

I've seen a number of Feguvar's at quite reasonable prices floating around my area, that I attribute to this.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    My most recent acquisition is a FEG GKK in 45 ACP.

Stick to the CZ or the Argie. Feguvar the Hungarian gun company, went out of business years ago. If it breaks your screwed. I understand it really tough to get replacement parts of any kind. The made so many different models with different internal mechanisms, ( Browning High Power/Smith & Wesson ). Even replacement parts are questionable.

I've seen a number of Feguvar's at quite reasonable prices floating around my area, that I attribute to this.

Thanks for the advice on the FEG. It will be fed only standard FMJ loads, no hot stuff (unless the zombies hit town). If I have to really have to ever start to carry the CZ, it will be in the Condition 1 (cocked and locked) mostly because I am a lousy double action shot.