In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which glock

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
which glock is the most reliable? thanks

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Glock 17 is the original, built to true military specifications.
    The rest are, in my opinion, just commercial products made with ordinary care. They usually do ok, but if you hear of a failure in a Glock, it is most likely with a different model and usually of a different caliber.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    All the one's I had are [;)
    1st gen 17
    3rd gen 17
    3rd gen 34
    1st gen 21
    2nd gen 19
  • Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had never had a FTF out of any of my Glocks. I have had 3 G17 2 G22 and 2 G19. Glock is know for reliability. Their trigger is not the smoothest. Tim
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you're using full metal jacket, ball ammo, or the equivalent JHP's. Glocks are extremely reliable. Not so much with exotic, personal protection ammo. That is made with light bullets, at high velocities.

Years ago, I got hold of some of this ammo, made in Mexico. Aguila made this stuff with a segmented aluminum bullet. It supposedly broke up into 3 pieces after impact. Either it was loaded, with the wrong burning rate powder? Or more likely underloaded, to make the lawyers happy. It wouldn't function in the Glock 17.

Needless to say this crap has been off the market, for years.

If you intend to be running any of this exotic, light bullet, high velocity ammo. Test it for function. Before carrying it for serious social purposes.
  • spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are trying to choose between glocks there are more important factors than which is said to be more reliable.

To answer the question, a full size model should be more reliable than a compact. Also, you can expect that a gun that fires a less powerful round is less likely to cause operator errors, such as limp wristing. The bottleneck shape of the .357 sig is considered to help reliable feeding. Taking those things into account that leaves you with the glock 17 or 31.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    As long as you're using full metal jacket, ball ammo, or the equivalent JHP's. Glocks are extremely reliable. Not so much with exotic, personal protection ammo. That is made with light bullets, at high velocities.

If you'd read the manual, you'd have seen the warning about "light" bullets [:0][;)]

Years ago, I got hold of some of this ammo, made in Mexico. Aguila made this stuff with a segmented aluminum bullet. It supposedly broke up into 3 pieces after impact. Either it was loaded, with the wrong burning rate powder? Or more likely underloaded, to make the lawyers happy. It wouldn't function in the Glock 17.

Needless to say this crap has been off the market, for years.

If you intend to be running any of this exotic, light bullet, high velocity ammo. Test it for function. Before carrying it for serious social purposes.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock is the AK 47 of handguns.
    I prefer the G19 but also own a G26 and G30SF.

If buying a Glock - get a G19. Does everything the 17 does but conceals easier.

James Yeager sums it up.
    "All pistols should be Glocks. All Glocks should be 9mm. All 9mm Glocks should be Glock 19's."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmkGgQLCMA

I would add to his quote - All Glock 19's should be gen 3. I'm sure he would probably agree.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

If you'd read the manual, you'd have seen the warning about "light" bullets [:0][;)]

Don't take for gospel what you read in the owners manuals. Good bit of the time, it lawyer driven BS.

I know for a fact that a G 17 will function fine, if the light bullets are driven fast enough.

Years back I swaged #2 shot into bullet jackets, duplicating Glazer safety slugs. It been years, but to the best of my recollection. The multi-ball projectile weighted 60 grains, and muzzle velocity was 1800 FPS. Worked fine in the Glock.

Thats what led me to believe that the segmented aluminum bullets made by Aguila. Didn't have a high enough muzzle velocity. Causing failure to function, in the Glock. More problems created by bottom feeding lawyers. It probably would have been a heck, of a personal protection round at a higher velocity.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several Glocks and the only time I've had a problem is when using an after market barrel. At that time, the slide did not fully come forward. If you go to one of the Glock tournaments, when shooting factory ammo, you rarely see a malfunction due to the gun.

Glocks have an oversized chamber to ensure reliable feeding. Also, with the exception of the 36 and 42, most of the internal parts are the same in all the guns.

When my friends shoot my subcompact major caliber guns, I've seen problems with limp wristing which causes failures to extract and feed. But this was not the guns fault.

I guess you should determine what you wan the gun for and go with the one the fits that need best because I don't think you really have much to worry about.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Any model is reliable...use good ammo,keep her clean...