In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

remington vtr 308

miracle351miracle351 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
was wandering others point of view on the vtr before i purchased one, going to be used for hunting and punching holes in paper

Comments

• shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would strongly suggest that if you choose that model, definitely go a few bucks more and get the new "5R barrel" model. I know of three in my area and all owners are very happy.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want one to carry hunting, then I would look at the Tikka T-3 Lite, in stainless. They are tack drivers, and very ergonomic, and price competitive.

Best
  • lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As it happens, I hve both a Remington with the 5R barrel and a Tikka T3 Lite.

The 5R is fantastic - best out of the box rifle, by far, I've had, and there are well established loads for it if you're a reloader. I broke it in and now regularly shoot 500 meters with only one load. But its a little heavy for a walking hunting rifle.

The Tikka T3 Lite is an excellent rifle - found an accurate load easily, very accurate and very light weight. Not as accurate as the 5R at 500 meters, however.

If you can handle the weight and the cost, go for the 5R. Othewise, the Tikka is an excellent choice.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a big fan of the VTR, if I have the nomenclature matched to the right gun. Don't like the loss of a few hundred fps with that "20 ported barrel. The range I work has has several people who own and shot these guns. Universally all have commented they like their Remington; some are quite vociferous about this; have no idea which ones are a 5R and which are not. On my 300 yard range the Savage rifles rule the roost in terms of out of the box accuracy. Great triggers, the new accustock is a winner and they affer an absolutely dizzying array of options.

I feel the Remingtons are generally fine guns and have certainly seen xb40's and various 700 series guns shoot lights out. As far as who is best across thier line...I STILL think Savage has them and everyone else factory, covered.