In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dakota rifles worth the money?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Lookig at the above for $5000, It sure looks like a 70 style action with nice wood. $5000 I do not think it is worth that much. Your thoughts,

Sage1

Comments

• mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are worth that much, the Dakota's are primarly hand built with top quality barrels and exhabition grade wood, the fit and finish are outstanding. If your looking for a custom made fine gun you'll see the value of the investment, if you are just looking for a rifle to take hunting you'll be better off buying something else.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sage1,

Just as the Cooper rifles are finely made, so are the Dakota's. At Dakota, they probably even pay closer attention to detail.

quote:$5000 I do not think it is worth that much.

Well, it takes valuable time to build them, and the company has to make something to stay in business. Are they worth that much? They are close to it. However, it is not an investment. An investment will only increase in value. My collecting has taught me that if it does not say Winchester or Colt on it, it must have a famous name, and proof of it, associated with it to be an investment. If you are looking for an investment, you are much better off looking for a Pre-64' Winchester Model 70 Super Grade for that price.

Best
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't speak for the Dakota but my wife bought me a cooper a few years ago. It is still unfired in the box and the new ones are about $300-$500 more than what she paid for mine. Investment maybe but it is great to have in the safe.

Todd