In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Will a Remington 700 stock fit a 721

lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up a Remington 721 in .270 for the princely sum of $150.00, it's rough to look at but the bore and action are clean and sharp looking.
The stock looks like someone refinished it by dipping it in a can of varnish but that's not the issue I have with it. It's had the barrel free floated all the way to the receiver, there's maybe an inch of acra glass under the action and then the barrel just hangs there. The clearance between the barrel and the stock is probably 1/4" at least, looks like you could chuck a cat in there without touching anything !
I haven't shot it yet so it may surprise me, the rear sight is missing and I'm waiting on a base so I can scope it and give it a test run. However, regardless of how it shoots I'm not gonna like the gap between wood and metal.
So, given that 721 stocks seem to be few and far between and what is out there isn't in much better shape than I have, the question is; Will a Remington 700 Long Action stock fit this old gun or should I keep hunting until I find another 721? The date code on the barrel date the gun to Feb, 1954 so it's been around for awhile.
As usual, appreciate all input and guidance !

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lcdrdanr,

Yes, they will interchange but there will be a couple of small areas to relieve such as around the safety lever. Nothing difficult.

The original 721's had a lot of drop in the buttstock so using a more modern stock will help when using a scope.

Best.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the rifle has the factory barrel, you will also have to inlet the barrel channel for the 721's rear sight 'knob'; also, the 721 bolt handle is not swept back like the 700, so there may be some relief work needed in its channel, too.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll also need to accommodate the possible differences in magazines, such as, an ADL vs a BDL stock.

You didn't ask for my advice but, why not simply glass bed the barrel channel and re-finish the stock. You can probably do that in the same time it will take you to make all the little changes to a 700 stock that are necessary.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a 700 stock on one of my 721's awhile back and it was a pretty quick fit. As previously stated, the safety area will need relieved a little on the inside.
  • daddytdaddyt Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would get a finished stock, in your choice of style, for less than $100 from Boyd's and be done with it and save yourself all the trouble.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=106179&cat=1223
    just my 2 cents.