In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg Shockwave

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
Is there any rationale to why this is an over-the-counter pistol(?) and the old Ithaca Auto-burglar and Marbles "Gamegetter" and H&R Handi-gun are NFA? I don't want to recommend one of these to a friend and then have him told they changed their minds.

EDIT: The barrel on this is 14" and overall is 26 3/8", so it should be an NFA, BUT that's todays reading.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the guberment. If OSHA wrote the law then suppressors would be easy to obtain/use.

Criminal's do crimes, making more laws doesn't slow them down braking the law and committing more crimes.

They act like no-one can figure out how to use a hacksaw.

Well aimed fire from a single shot is usually way more effective than the spray and pray.

With enough practice it is possible to shoot birds out of the air with a bullet from a pistol or a rifle. Yes it is a lot easier to catch dinner with a shotgun.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Is there any rationale to why this is an over-the-counter pistol(?) and the old Ithaca Auto-burglar and Marbles "Gamegetter" and H&R Handi-gun are NFA? I don't want to recommend one of these to a friend and then have him told they changed their minds.

As long as the barrel is over 18". And overall length is 26". It's legal, as far as the feds are concerned. Not a pistol, by any definition. Some of the commie states, like CA & MA, might consider it verboten though. Be sure your friend, checks his state and city statutes. before he buys one.

EDIT #1,

Short barreled shotgun, is OK for personal protection. Sucks muzzle blast wise, if your using it for hunting or trap/skeet etc.

I use to test fire shotguns, I bought. At the long gone, Winchester trap & skeet range in Wilmington. One time I brought a short barreled riot gun, and fired a round of trap with it. The guys on the other stations were pissed. And weren't a bit shy, about letting me know about it.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brian~

Here's the explanation from Shockwave..

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Their position , simply put, is that it was never meant to be shoulder fired and only needs to meet the minimum overall length requirement.. Here's the ATF definition of a shotgun..

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-shotgun

Local restrictions, and States like Kalifornia, have laws that go beyond this definition and specifically cover barrel length and overall length as determining features, not just original configuration.. Be sure and have your friend check into that..

The Gamegetter and Handy-gun fall short(pun intended) on overall length..
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Brian~

Here's the explanation from Shockwave..

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Their position , simply put, is that it was never meant to be shoulder fired and only needs to meet the minimum overall length requirement.. Here's the ATF definition of a shotgun..

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-shotgun

Local restrictions, and States like Kalifornia, have laws that go beyond this definition and specifically cover barrel length and overall length as determining features, not just original configuration.. Be sure and have your friend check into that..

The Gamegetter and Handy-gun fall short(pun intended) on overall length..

Thanks! For the heads up. New one, on me? Thought shotguns had to have 18" barrels. Sure glad Trump is pres. Nappy and his lefty buddies, would have made a federal case out of the Shockwave. Sent the JBT's out, to confiscate all of them, to protect the children.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guns are not considered shotguns, because they were never meant to be fired from the shoulder. Their classification is "firearm."
    As long as the overall length is 26" and they don't have a shoulder stock, they are not NFA weapons.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington just announced an over the counter 870 with a 14" barrel also, based on the same input from the BATFE.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-tac-14
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On that 870: I take it there is something that would prevent taking that 14" barrel off and installing in on a standard 870 shotgun?
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    On that 870: I take it there is something that would prevent taking that 14" barrel off and installing in on a standard 870 shotgun?

Nope...a barrel is just a piece of pipe...just like you can go out and buy a 7" upper for your AR-15, no questions asked. Also like putting a shoulder stock and rifle barrel on a TC Encore or Contender...you can get shorter than 16" barrels for them too.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose- the only thing preventing it is the law.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After seeing how many people would come back to the shop after buying Mossberg Cruisers (18" with pistol grip) with wrist braces, I can't wait to see the reactions after shooting it.

Now they have 2 1/2" shells though so maybe it won't be so bad.