In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.30-06 ammo

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
Does .30-06 180 grain ammo come in both round nose & pointed nose? Is there a difference between them?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has in the past. I don't buy factory ammo. Pointy boattails fly the best IMHO, especially after say 300 yards. Round nose were thought to be better at brush busting back in the day. Bullet construction for purpose hunting/target is a far more important consideration.

I like the 165 gr zone best in the 06.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the days when we only got a single deer tag, most of my hunting was at moderate ranges, and my hunting time was short(I didn't always have the patience or opportunity to wait for that perfect broadside presentation), I used 180 grain in my 30/06. In my opinion, it provided a good level of performance w/o destroying as much edible meat as the 150.
    My preferred choice was Rem CoreLokt PSP but I did use some RN once. It seemed the RN expanded quicker which wasn't what I really wanted. I gravitated away from the 180's to 150's and then to 165's. For deer, I'll stay with the lighter, flatter shooting 150-165 range. There are plenty of bullets in that weight range these days that will penetrate as good or better than the old cup and core 180's while increasing your PBR by 50 yards or more.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    briguy,

There are 27 different styles of bullets available for .30 caliber cartridges. Each has a place in either the hunting and target shooting world, but each has a particular performance range which can be matched to the either the type of game being hunted or the type of target shooting being pursued. There has been an absolute ton of refinements made to all styles and types of bullets these days.

If your concern is either the round nose or pointed soft point, the PSP generally have a better Ballistic Coefficient than the round nose which, traditionally, have been limited to closer ranges for large game. Round nose bullets are often loaded in lever rifles with tubular magazines.

308-220-RN-180-BT-Vert1.jpg

The round nose bullets have often been associated with older style cartridges and older style chambers for the older cartridges. Mauser made the conversion to the spitzer style (PSP) bullets in 1905.

When I'm asked to recommend store-bought ammunition, I will often suggest Remington Core-Lokt as the most consistent.

Best.