In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's the story with this Astra 600/43?

rfanukerfanuke Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
Curious if someone has an idea of the story behind the serial number stamping on this astra. You can see the frame has a s/n 11074 which has been stamped over with "X". Then a later number stamped above which matches the slide. Maybe an earlier frame that was never assembled into a full gun until sometime later?

996109460_o.jpg

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the top of the "3", different stamp set - Bubba is my first guess.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "x marks", look like the ones used in British scepter proof marks. See if there are any British proofs, on other areas of the Astra.

The brits, have some strange proof laws and regulations. Wouldn't be surprised. If different numbers on the slide and frame, would be verboten. As far as their proof laws are concerned.
  • rfanukerfanuke Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are the marks on the other side. I don't see any other unique markings anywhere else.

996116886_o.jpg
    edited November -1
    Here is the one, I was referring to. I guess there swords, not scepters, though. I believe they did use scepters, on some of their proofs.

UK35.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jim_lemay
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Here is the one, I was referring to. I guess there swords, not scepters, though. I believe they did use scepters, on some of their proofs.

UK35.jpg

No Swords or Scepters in proofing marks. Closest to sword was Crest on Naval Model 400 According to L. Antaris books on Astra Pistols.

This photo is of a British proof mark, not Spanish. I posted it to show, what I believe was the stamp used. To deface the original serial number, on the Astra's frame.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Proof marks on one side are "weak", but the x'ed out serial is "strong".
    Refinish one side only? Or did the "German armorer"/Bubba miss the whole right side?
    The x-out looks like single strikes with a wedge shaped implement.
  • rfanukerfanuke Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the info. We have been shooting it with no problems, so it will remain a shooter and not go to a museum.