In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus Tracker

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experiance with the taurus tracker in 44mag? Good, bad, indifferent? Thanks.

Comments

• HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that the Taurus Tracker is considered a compact frame, but what is an equivelent frame size for the .357 in say a S&W frame?
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, I was just thinking of purchasing a Taurus Tracker in 41 magnum with the 4 inch barrel. I was wondering if anybody out there has any experience with, or thoughts about, this revolver. I had back surgery this past november and I'm going to get away from carrying a rifle this hunting season. I also am taking my daughter for the first time this year,and if she gets tired I dont want to carry two rifles.LOL!!! Also does anyone manufacture a scope mount for this revolver. Thanks in advance to all who reply,all comments are appreciated.
    sincerely
    remington6977
    edited November -1
    ANY TRUTH TO TAURUS COMING OUT WITH A REVOLVER CHAMBERED IN 45 L.C. THAT IS CAPABLE OF FIRING .410 SHOTGUN SHELLS?
    edited November -1
    Relatively new to handguns, I have a 9mm pistol but looking at getting a revolver. Have seen the Taurus model 627 Tracker anyone know if this is a good revolver? Any thoughts on the ported barrel. Thanks for the help.
    edited November -1
    I JUST WON AN AUCTION FOR A TAURUS TRACKER .357 STAINLESS,RUBBER GRIPS. WHAT IS SOMETHING LIKE THAT WORTH?
    edited November -1
    Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the Taurus Tracker, in .44 Rem. Mag. They were mostly considered Foreign Junk 10 years ago!! I do like the ribber grip, and the Bbl. porting. How about service? If I were to purchase said revolver, it would be a low round count. I had a run in with a sow black bear, with two cubs during archery season a few years back. No firearm in site!!!!! Your turn! THX IN Advance
    edited November -1
    i'm looking at a taurus tracker .357 mag with a titanium finish 4" barrel,its used but in great shape with just a very small cylinder ring could anyone tell me about what this gun is worth the price on it is 450 thanks
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't enjoy shooting short barrel 44 magnum. I think porting makes the pistol recoil straight back instead of rolling up. I have seen good Taurus and poorly fitted ones. Must be a dozen you tube vids on the tracker.

If I was just carrying maybe a S&W 329PD. I doubt they get shot much.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a big Taurus fan and I don't stock new Taurus guns here in the store. I have a policy that if I wouldn't carry it I don't want to stock it and over the years we have had way more trouble with Taurus handguns than any other brand. BUT: Almost all of those problems have been with the auto pistols not revolvers. Taurus revolvers, especially the med and large frame guns have been pretty good guns. The Tracker series guns I have handled were all fine and I wouldn't have a problem with one. By the way I do sell used Taurus autos as long as we can take them back on the range and make sure they run ok. Good Luck, Ricci.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    More Taurus bashing?
    I am a fan, having owned 12-15 Taurus revolvers over the last 30 years, and not one time did I regret saving $300 over a Smiff.
    Seeing as how the Taurus is a copy/clone of the vaunted gun of all guns; what can be said about one can be said about the other.
    The Tracker series is for your intended purpose; a handy firearm that can pull you out of a tight spot.
    Don't like the grippy grips? Get a set of AJAX, or carve 'em out of a 2x4.
    Taurus is not Rossi, they have merged. Rossi's 971 was a handy, reliable wheelgun, but some of their older offerings were kinda hit or miss; like any Taurus autoloader of any age.
    Still baffles me why they can't do guns with slides as well as they do on revolvers, seeing as how they supplied Brazil's military for years.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Taurus revolvers and they have been fine, the single auto I had was not even useful as a boat anchor. I have not had occasion to use Taurus service, but they do not have an admirable reputation. I own a lot more Smiths than Taurus, with all due regard and respect for GN505.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you might be depending your life on it, then do not depend on a Taurus...simple as that. It seems progressively over the last 30 years, their quality control has gotten worse. Sorry, but as a professional in the field, those are the plain facts.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have recent experience with this gun.

Speaking in general, Taurus QC has been historically off again/on again and I think that's really the problem. Its not the design of the revolvers (as mentioned, they're mostly Smith clones, though they do have some issues of their own) so much as the execution.

This is now going back a few years, but the owner of one of MA's biggest gunshops told me point blank he dropped carrying Taurus revolvers because he had so many problem with them. Like guns brand new out of the box where the cylinder wouldn't close smoothly, or they rubbed metal turning the cylinder. Just guns that had no business leaving the factory. Taurus has improved its QC since then, but I've heard of lapses, and you always wonder. (BTW, he can't carry them now even if he wanted to, because they're not "MA compliant". . .that's another story).

Are Ruger and Smith better guns? Depends what you mean by "better". They're not really "better" if they don't provide YOU with a functional advantage and they lock up your money!

With the understanding that this is a gun you're probably going to be carrying a lot and shooting rarely (or more likely carrying a little and shooting almost never), not needing a match trigger, match accuracy, or super-high durability, I wouldn't have a problem with a used Taurus for this particular purpose, so long as I could do some QC testing to make sure the gun was OK.

quote:
    Charliemeyer
    If I was just carrying maybe a S&W 329PD. I doubt they get shot much.
    Its hard to fire one the second time after recoil from the first shot sprains your wrist or makes the gun fly out of your hand. [;)]

Seriously, its probably safe to say that 95% of used .44 magnums in the market have low round counts. . .most probably ridiculously low (like <150 shots).

Its also probably safe to say that 95% of the used .44 magnums on the market with high round counts aren't Tauruses! They guys that REALLY like to shoot high round counts with 44s usually use Rugers or Smiths.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've hand gun hunted deer for many years with a 10" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Had it ported (didn't delete the natural "roll back" at all), polished, trigger work done along with rubber grips. Topped it off with a Leupold 2X, a real meet gun. In my estimation with it's natural "roll back" not bad to shoot at all.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The few 44 mag handguns I've owned in the past, were shot sparingly, For the noted reason, (not fun at all, to shoot). With 44 mag ammo.

If you have no reason for using 44 mag ammo, for either hunting or personal protection. Use 44 special ammo. Turns the most hard kicking, wrist breaking, 44 mag, muzzle blaster into pussycat.

Try it, it will enable you to shoot all those unshot 44 mags, that you have rusting away in your gun safes. Into fun plinkers.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The few 44 mag handguns I've owned in the past, were shot sparingly, For the noted reason, (not fun at all, to shoot). With 44 mag ammo.

If you have no reason for using 44 mag ammo, for either hunting or personal protection. Use 44 special ammo. Turns the most hard kicking, wrist breaking, 44 mag, muzzle blaster into pussycat.

Try it, it will enable you to shoot all those unshot 44 mags, that you have rusting away in your gun safes. Into fun plinkers.

+1, I do the same for 357's, target practice is more fun with 38's.
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best revolvers I have owned was a Taurus Tracker in .44 mag.

I regret having to sell it in a time of being short $ for more needed things.

I still have a couple other Taurus revolvers including the M731 Titanium model that I carry.

I have owned multiple different brands over the years including a number of S&W , Colt , Ruger, and Taurus revolvers. It is sort of interesting to note that I have had only one gun fail me in the field with a broken part. That was a Colt Diamond Back. Also had a Colt Trooper that was my most inaccurate revolver. My opinion is that a good Taurus is as good as a good S&W or Colt, or Ruger. You can get a bad one from any brand.

That said, if you were going to gift me a .44 mag I would likely pick up the one I could call the best by personally inspecting it first.