In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

'New' Toy

WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Morning all, just coming aboard to let you all in on my 'new' toy.
For years I have been looking for a good Remington 1911, and I think I finaly found one. Just took delivery yesterday.
It is very tight ( Not like a lot I was issued while in the Corps that would rattle like a hand full of castinets when shook ). Appears to have origional parkerizeing with some wear on the sharp edges, brown plastic type grips.
On the left side above the trigger and below the slde lock are a letter F and a Letter A with what looks like a 1 in between.the serial number is 13880XX.
Can any of you Remington Gurus give me a MFG date?
It came with four mags, one appears like G.I issue two are after market blue and one is stamper 'Colt .45 auot on the floor plate. Also a nice condition G.I holster dyed 'M.P.' black and on the back off the holster it says MILWAUKEE SADDLERY CO. 1942. I think maybe it is a G.I bring back from WW ll that has been well kept.

For GOD and COUNTRY

Not as Lean[:D][:D]Not as Mean[:(!][:(!]But STILL a MARINE[}:)][}:)]

Vet

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The frame of your pistol was made in 1943 I have NO reason to believe that your pistol is NOT all original .But many of these WW II pistols have been rebuilt/refinished in the last 60 plus years.. The three letters Should be FJA this is the inspection marks of Lt Col. F.J.Atwood he inspected all Remington pistols . Very good in focus Close up pistols may be enough for us to ascertain If your pistol shows signs of mismatched parts or refinish However in my opinion a hands on is needed to ascertain if it is in fact all original. Regardless You have a nice reminder of WW II Enjoy you find.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your 1911A1 is a Remington Rand in the number range assigned for 1943 although actually made in 1944.

The stamp mark you describe is actually FJA for Frank J. Atwood, chief inspector for Remington Rand and Ithaca during WWII.

Magazines for the period have a letter on the top lip of the floorplate. Remington Rand used contractors identified by L, R, S and G. Of course there are many military and aftermarket replacements.

Milwaukee Saddlery was a legit holster supplier in WWII.

Post pictures and the experts here can tell you more.

There are whole books on the subject, but you can learn a lot at:
    www.coolgunsite.com

Resist the temptation to "fix it up" or improve it in any way, you can only reduce its interest and value.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The GI holsters for the model 19ll/19llA1 were dyed black in the 1960's. Original brown WWII finish would make the holster more valuable but nothing can be done to restore it to brown.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If yours is original, it should look close to this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198400022

Although any of the WW2 contract mags is correct for yours, the "most correct" would be one stamped G on the toe (General Shaver, a division of Remington Rand).

Neal
  • WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal; Your auction #198400022 pictures and my new toy are identicle except where yours shows a G on the trigger guard, mine show a W, and my maghs do not have any stampings on the floor plate. Otherwise they could be brothers.

For GOD and COUNTRY

Not as Lean[:D][:D]Not as Mean[:(!][:(!]But STILL a MARINE[}:)][}:)]

Vet