In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1895, 1902(?) DOM Screws?

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Picked up an 1895 in 30-40 Krag over the weekend, and I suspect there are a couple of non-correct screws attaching the receiver to the stock. I assume Winchester did not use a plated Phillips for one and a plated slotted screw for the other.[:)]

Any suggestions as to where to go for a pair of correct screws?

AppleTree001.jpg

AppleTree002.jpg

Bert, if you can make the time, could you look up the actual DOM for this rifle? S/N 33075; the usual suspects put it in 1902.

Edit: Thanks, 1KYDSTR, I tried Numrich with no luck. I have ordered a set of 'Tang Screws' from Homestead Firearms, but am not 100% sure they are correct.
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Lord...Bubba must have a family of about 6 million; his family handiwork seems to show up everywhere. Why anyone would do that to the tang screws is beyond me. Do they come out OK? Wonder if they just gave the screws a Gorilla twisting to MAKE the threads match? Sure hope not, but at least this is a repairable issue, and
    I wouldn't be too upset with replacement parts such as that; at least it isnt the reciever drilled and tapped!!!

Numrich for the screws? Perhaps Bert can help through the Winchesters collectors guild?
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don, Bert's friend Jim can fix you up, great guy to deal with!
    http://www.tapaderaswinchesters.com/
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Bert, if you can make the time, could you look up the actual DOM for this rifle? S/N 33075; the usual suspects put it in 1902.

October 1901. The serial number is early enough that you can get a fatory letter for it from Cody.
  • croweman0829croweman0829 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Don, Bert's friend Jim can fix you up, great guy to deal with!
    http://www.tapaderaswinchesters.com/

well look who is on the gunbroker forums too[:D]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thank you all for your help.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele