In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.38 SMITH & WESSON SPECIAL CTG

MK1MICAHMK1MICAH Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I know looking through some of the old postings that this has been covered however the pistol in question was my grandfathers and it is very special to me, I am not looking for a "worth" of it even though that would be nice so I can insure it! I really need to know more about it as far as model number and year it was made (My Grandfather developed altzheimers) and decided to take the grips off and lost the retaining screw for the grips Ill need to find this screw so I can put this pistol back together. It has all the patentent dates that the others had but is I belive an earlyer build then the others I have read about any help anyone could provide would be greatly appriciated! serial #297078 297070 patent dates are oct.09.01 dec.17.01 feb.6.06 sept.14.09 dec.29.14. some what id call arsenal stamps near all markings and the common ".38 smith&wesson special ctg" on the rh side of the barrel.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial number puts it into the Model 1905, Military & Police, 4th change, range. This is the most common of the older S & W's, M & P's made. Over 3/4 of a million were made between 1915 & 1942. My guess is that yours dates to the early 20's or late teens.

A virtually identical model has been made since then, known as the Model 10, "K" frame. It's probably the most common of the S & W revolvers, with millions made.
  • MK1MICAHMK1MICAH Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I looked on Numrich and the "military&Police" has a diferent set of grips than mine they are more of a "traditional" wheel gun grip as mine are more rounded and not as squared on the butt. any ideas?
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe, as always, has the technical info nailed down, and I agree with his assesment. Even though there were tons made, I would add that there are variations in the marking of these guns (martial markings...USMC, U.S. Government Property etc...) that would make them more valuable to, say, a Marine or Coastie etc. While they are a common gun, and not cosmetically finished to the same degree that say, a commercial Smith would be, they are AWESOME guns; typical Smith quality. What branch (I am assuming this...sorry if I am incorrect) of service was gramps in during the war?

I would contact Numrich for the screw.

www.gunpartscorp.com

Now, an aside. You seem like a younger guy. It is really refreshing to hear that you actually give a crap about Gramps and want to keep things of his to remember him by. Too many people these days that want to find out this stuff so they can sell it as fast as possible and never mind the familial ties involved with it. Sure hope my girls (both under 5) care enough to provide me with a better brand of Pablum in the old retirement castle!

Grip screw should be common to both style grips. They may or may not be correct vintage for the gun, but the screw should be the same, I am fairly sure.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't have the correct size hollow ground screwdriver, let someone else install/remove the grips (or any other gun part) for you.

Neal
  • MK1MICAHMK1MICAH Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey!
    Well I just turned 30 so I wouldnt say im younger but maybe I am to you. And I dont get rid of any of the "Family" guns, no way in hell! too much history there and just think of how many of "us" learned how to shoot with them or went hunting you know the story... My Grandfather couldnt Serve although he Really wanted to his father died just around the outbreak of the war and he had to become the Man so in staying close to home he joined the Dept Of Forestry this was his service revolver though. But your thinking that the grip screws are the same, makes sense to me being the year of this. and if what i read is true $300-350 is the range for these Im going to insure it for 1K. what is really neat to me is; I have the service leather holster and it is really in nice shape and some old cast lead bullets for it and the cleaning kit and a bullet mold for w/c thats wadcutter from what I know all vintage and really cool for a little display box. The bullets are in a 100ct box thats marked 25 I dont think it 25 cents but probibly $2.50 made in colombus OH cant remember the name on the box but ill find out this evening. Thanks allot guys ill let you know what happens and post some pictures.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear we are of the same mind on family heirlooms! And yes, 30 is no "Puppy", but people your age often don't see things this way...so many money grubbers these days! I am 46...had kids a little later (Wow...What was I thinking!) than most.

Your Grandpas gun may have U.S.F.S. stamped on it? If so, that is obviously Forestry Service ID, so it comes close to martial type values. In my view, this also means your GrandDad DID serve. Not at all sure where he was stationed, but the guys out in the Northwest woods were pretty busy at one point running around putting out fires caused by the Japanese balloon bombs. Also, the guys up in Wi and the UP, as well as Maine and a few other areas, were pretty busy producing the lumber that supported the war effort, so no contribution was too small. Too bad the gun is not a USFS 94 Winchester...that would be valuable!

The vintage stuff is cool...keep the leather oiled, and put the bullets etc... in a safe place as they are more valuable to you than anything and are accoutrements, not parts for the gun. I would not insure it for more than $500, dependant on the holster (some can be VERY valuable) and markings as normally condition drives that replacement value, and since there is great sentimental value to the piece, you would not profit by paying a higher premium on the 1K level as there is no 1K gun out there to take its place. Take care, and Best Regards to a dutiful grandson.