In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38-55 load question

ECO-DAVEECO-DAVE Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I have a 1893 Marlin 38-55 and would like to know if gas checks are used on 255gr. cast bullets using sr-4759 powder? Also is .379 dia. correct for a 1893 bore?

Thanks

Comments

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load data is easy to find by looking up 38-55 Winchester, 38-55 Ballard, or 38-55 Everlasting - all the same ctg.
    Most loads for older rifles will not use gas checks - under 1600 fps.
    .379 is the correct bullet diameter. Let the age and condition of your rifle determine your load.
    Good Luck
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Look on the barrel and make shure it says Smokeless Powder, if it doesn't it's not safe to shoot anything but black powder.
    W.D.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Look on the barrel and make shure it says Smokeless Powder, if it doesn't it's not safe to shoot anything but black powder.
    W.D.

That might be true for a Marlin, but it is definitely not the case for a Winchester Model 1885 or 1894. Smokeless powder loads were loaded for the 38-55 as early as 1896.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While that is spec bullet diameter, you should slug your bore to measure your actual diameter or risk a lot of leading, particularly with smokeless plain base loads.