In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 magazines

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I want to buy additional magazines for my Kimber. I would appreciate recommendations
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought my first 1911.
    It's a Ruger SR1911 Commander and I want to know what are the best made magazines for this gun?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

edited November -1
    I picked up these 1911 magazines recently. I can find no markings on them. Can anyone tell me about the 2 tone finish?
    Thanks, -Otter[img][/img]DSCN01363.JPG
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

edited November -1
    i have a kimber "custom" (fullsize) 1911. will magazines from other manufacturers be interchangable as long as they're all for single stack 1911's? example, could i use a para 1911 single stack .45 mag in a kimber single stack .45 1911? also i'm interested in purchasing some aftermarket magazines with the base pads. i have added a magwell and need the base pad to help seat the mag without having to shove a finger in there to make sure it's seated. promag? mec-gar? wilson combat? which are the good ones? thanks in advance
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wilson Combat are the best made 1911 magazine on the planet, bar none. I know other's will not agree, but that is the cold hard facts.

Best
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 6 Wilson's for my sr1911 commander, always feed, never a problem, there are others makers that are good, but these have my full confidence .
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't played with a Ruger 1911, but more than a half dozen Colt's plus others. You can learn to tune magazines to your pistol and make most anything work with your reloads. I take them all apart and de-burr the insides. Most pistols could use some detail work too.

Don't drop the magazines on their lips or step on them.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Another Wilson fan. A friend of mine has had a Ruger SR 1911 for more than a year now, he's a club member and shoots it quite a bit. He hasn't had a single issue with it, dollar for dollar I think it's the best buy out there.
    W.D.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've got eight Wilson mags that have been feeding my match 1911's for over 20yrs. Need I say more [?][:)]
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Another good option is the Chip McCormick mags. I use them on 11 different guns (same mags), hardball, reloads, lead SWC, they all seem to feed great. Nothing against Wilson, they are the top, just another very good option.

As said above, with a stone and a pair of small pliers you can make a $7 mag work for a single gun, but it takes a little time, and I wanted mags that worked in numerous guns and loads.

Lots of options, good luck.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, Kimber, Ruger, and Metalform all work well in my 1911s. Best thing you have done since you left Florida!!!
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for McCormick. I carried them for duty for years in a Series '70 and an Officer's Model. Also work perfectly in my old Gold Cup. The only difficulty I've had with Wilson was an early one on which the "hold-open" step on the follower peened down and wouldn't engage after a while. MecGar is another top brand.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Looks like Wilson... [:)]