In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wm moore muzzelloading shotgun

gunho1951gunho1951 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
i have just obtained a wm moore & co 12ga. muzzelloader. on top, on the devider, it saysondon fine twist, can anyone tell me the approimet age, or value of this gun

Comments

• Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    All I have on WILLIAM MOORE & COMPANY is that he was an English gun maker from 1854 to 1872. I also have a listing for another WILLIAM MOORE & CO which was a "Trade Brand Name used on shotguns made in Belgium by a maker named Henri Pieper. Take a look at the bottom of the barrels for roof marks. Belgian made guns will have the letters "ELG" in an oval while English made guns will have crossed secpters or halberds (spear.battle axe) with a crown over that.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzle loading shotguns generally ceased production by the 1870's. Value would depend on cosmetic condition. They are considered unsafe to fire with even Black Powder because of their barrel construction. Their only use and value would be as a wall hanger/decorator over the fireplace. A beat up rusty one would only be good for a tomato stake. One in very good to excellent original condition might bring $200-$300.