In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700----8mm rem mag

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
please confirm for me the DOM for the above rifle.

The date code is either CO, or GO. I can't tell for sure.

THX GUYS

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since there is no G as first letter, the date is April, 1977. (My "Big 8" carries that same date.)
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boddingtons favorite.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember an article from Col. Charles Askins where he stated that the 8mm Rem Mag holds about "2 hatfuls of powder".[:D]
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    please confirm for me the DOM for the above rifle.

The date code is either CO, or GO. I can't tell for sure.

THX GUYS

If you look at the top of "ask the experts" page you will see a few threads that are for getting info(stickys).

Pick the thread with DOM info, then scroll down to your manufacture(Rem).

It is a page that has the info that MG1890 provided for you.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    origionally posted by MG1890
    I seem to remember an article from Col. Charles Askins where he stated that the 8mm Rem Mag holds about "2 hatfuls of powder".

A slight exaggeration: It takes only 80 gr. of H4831 to drive a 220 Remington CoreLokt at 2866 fps. (That's a little over 4,000 ft/lbs of energy.)
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I remember when Remington introduced the 8mm Magnum caliber at a dinner event for all the big gun writers. Elmer Keith stood up, big fat cigar in hand, and waited for the room to become quiet. When everyone stopped talking, the Remington rep recognized Elmer and asked him to speak.

Elmer asked, "What the hell good is it?" and sat back down, as the room broke up in laughter.

I always liked that story, no offense intended to the OP.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I remember when Remington introduced the 8mm Magnum caliber at a dinner event for all the big gun writers. Elmer Keith stood up, big fat cigar in hand, and waited for the room to become quiet. When everyone stopped talking, the Remington rep recognized Elmer and asked him to speak.

Elmer asked, "What the hell good is it?" and sat back down, as the room broke up in laughter.

I always liked that story, no offense intended to the OP.

Guys like Elmer Keith and others that hate all new chamberings and/or guns because "everything invented after the 30/30 and Model 12 Winchester are frivolous" are such pains in the butt, so many new guns and yes even new chamberings have come out in the last couple decades that are downright cool but it bugs me cause theres always some old timer whining about how unneccasarry it is or they say the common quote: "It is an answer to a question that was never asked".

I can't stand those people to be honest as obviously these new products sell. ALOT usually, so someone liked them or "asked the question so to speak".

Disclaimer: Yes, I know Keith has been dead for 30 years but the point remains.

Sorry to waste one of your 10 replies on this rant but it had to be done[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I liked Elmer, and he and I have a few traits in common. Mainly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Elmer Keith killed a Bald Eagle and bragged about it. Scum bag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe Mr. Keith killed golden eagles, because they were preying on his lambs. I never saw him brag about killing a bald eagle. A critter killing stock is a critter killing stock, whether it has fur or feathers.