In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

steel shot in a Remington 31

sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a remington 31 16ga. manufactured in 1949, aand I was wondering if it was able to handle modern steel shot for waterfowl. or should I just stick to upland birds and clays.
thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not recommend shooting steel shot in it. Hevi-Shot makes waterfowl loads that are safe to shoot in older "classic" shotguns, though it is a bit pricey.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. Bismith will also work.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would help to know what choke it has. Open chokes such as cylinder/skeet, shouldn't have any problem with steel shot.

Many of the older shotguns were retrofitted for steel shot, by having their chokes opened up. Recently I had a early 50's vintage full choke Model 12. That had been opened up to improved cylinder, for steel shot.

As long as the gunsmith who does the work is competent,it would have no adverse affect on the shotgun. Other than perhaps it's collectors value.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When steel shot first came out, I buggered the choke on my older 870. I don't know for certain the cause but after a few shots while goose hunting, I noticed some longitudinal striations and a slight swelling at the beginning of the choke. It was my opinion that the original steel shot was a little too hard and/or the wads were too thin allowing the hard shot to contact the choke.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe Snow is right on[;)]