In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Action bedding advice...

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
What is your day bedding compound and why? I've been told acraglass, jb weld,or just about any other 2 part expoy...what say you all?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't done any in quite some time so no clue what is the go to stuff but I will tell you that proper application of your release agent will save you grief. Inspect your contours for traps/recesses that will hold the action even if properly treated. Modeling clay is what I used for filling.

I paste waxed everything with several coats letting it dry between applications. Q-tip to work it into screw holes. A cut section of old credit card make a good applicator and to scrape off the excess that oozes out is handy.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used J-B Weld, and it is OK, but I use Brownell's Steel Bed, or Marine-Tex now. Less shrinkage, and harder set up. Make sure you use your release agent very liberally. You should install pillars, if you are bedding a good bolt action.

Stick with the good epoxies as listed. Anything glass, including accura glass, is pure junk that will have to be replaced.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using aluminum tape on my 10/22 build :)

Have used JB Weld with good success - Kiwi natural/neutral shoe polish is a good release agent.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    acraglass..........none better
    release agent......non stick cooking spray
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Devcon is the new go to for bedding compound, shrinks lots less that others do, and thats a plus..
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kidthatsirish,

I use Marine-Tex black while we teach with Pro-Bed 2000. They both require measuring and mixing but if you do a substantial number of bedding jobs each month, Pro-Bed can be gotten with a two tube caulk gun apparatus which does the measuring for you. It still has to be mixed on your pallet though.

I have standardized on these two because they work for students and professionals. The results are consistent and repeatable. Here is an example:

Ross%20bedding%20web.jpg

The individual can get either of these in small amounts without committing to huge and expensive quantities.

The release agent needs to be perfect as any flaw will result in sticking the action or chipping the bedding. Be aware that any deviation from the smooth outline such as screw holes, bolt stops, trigger inlets and magazine cutouts need to be filled with some form of clay compound and the entire unit coated with either a spray mold release (PD Ultra 4) or neutral shoe polish. We get best results with both although the shoe polish is more time consuming and requires more attention.

Go slow, take your time and look at everything before you place the barreled action in the bedding compound.

Best.

ADDED:

quote:So i have to ask why you don't like acraglass gel? So far you are the only person who has said it's anything but good what was your experience that you didn't like it? Yes I intend to use pillars.

I'm quite sure that tsr isn't the only person to dislike the ACRAGLAS GEL? from Brownells, he's just the only one to respond on this thread.

Many of us who bed frequently and in volume have put the Brownells compound aside in favor of better products with modern ingredients which don't shrink as much or are not as brittle. Many non-professionals still buy it and use it with good results because of the size of the kits available.

I can get repeatable, consistent, longer lasting results from Marine-Tex and maybe one of the Devcon series, as compared to ACRAGLAS GEL?.

Brownells has released a new version of Acraglas:

Super New Acraglas, Nylon Epoxy Derivative, Butter-Smooth Consistency, Mixes With Atomized Metals

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-bedding-adhesives/acraglas-gel--prod1038.aspx

When I was creating fancy grain wood stocks, I would use a clear boat glas instead of a solid color epoxy. The client was paying for all that fancy grain so when the barreled action was removed from the wood stock, all of the grain was visible through the mostly clear glas.

Best.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Devcon plastic steel putty 10110 and buy a small electronic scale from Harbor Freight for measuring the portions required for mixing. Also, look on YouTube and view about three of the relevant choices found on glass bedding - they're usually very informative and after viewing three videos you should know reasonably well what to do.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Points to ponder:

1) Epoxies have a shelf life. Buy the amount you need. Make sure it is fresh.

2) the slower the set time the less the shrink. (and the harder the epoxy) Quick setting epoxies are usually brittle.

3) Epoxies have a working temp range. Too cold, and they won't set. Too hot and they can 'flash' cure.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    I have used J-B Weld, and it is OK, but I use Brownell's Steel Bed, or Marine-Tex now. Less shrinkage, and harder set up. Make sure you use your release agent very liberally. You should install pillars, if you are bedding a good bolt action.

Stick with the good epoxies as listed. Anything glass, including accura glass, is pure junk that will have to be replaced.

So i have to ask why you don't like acraglass gel? So far you are the only person who has said it's anything but good what was your experience that you didn't like it? Yes I intend to use pillars.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

So i have to ask why you don't like acraglass gel? So far you are the only person who has said it's anything but good what was your experience that you didn't like it? Yes I intend to use pillars.

Because...unless the rifle is a safe queen, and if it gets used a lot, the glass will have to eventually be replaced, as it crumbles and falls apart. Back in the day, it was the only go to, until the high performance epoxies showed up. I believe I listed that in my first reply, that it is JUNK, and will have to be replaced.