In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

laser bore sighter?

tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I just picked one up and is not complicated in how it works. It is -16 degrees here and that is to cold to go to the range. That means sighting in inside my apartment. I know I have 9 yard and maybe can squeeze out 10 yard to works with. How do I go about this?

Comments

• mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Lazerlite $40 one. Gets ya close enough for black.
    I have 50 ft in the basement- I inserted it per instructions then adjusted my scope to the dot on the far wall.
    Was real close- only had to make small adjustments when I went to the range.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a rifle 25 yards is about the minimum.
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you open a window a little and use a wall across the street?

Probably best to stand back from the window and not have the barrel sticking out the window.

It only takes a couple minutes to adjust the cross hairs to sit right on the laser dot. I doubt anyone would notice a small red dot on a wall and if they did, why would they think it was a boresighter? It just looks like a common laser pointer. And finally how would they tell where it was coming from?

But if you don't want to use this approach, just do what you can at your 9 yard distance, adjust a little for the hight of the scope above the bore, and you'll be on paper anyway at 25yards at the range
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on sight height, and type of sights you are using. A lot also hinges on the tolerances, and adjustability of the laser to zero on a known zero point of the rifle sights.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have laser bore sighter which came with different size O-rings fitted to a mandrel which is placed into the muzzle end of the bore. You just turn on the laser and align the sights or scope reticle. It works fine for 25 yards and I've used it to sight in rifles and pistols; and even used it to adjust the front sight on the gas block on an AR because I wanted the rear sight's windage to be middle of the windage full adjustment range.
  • tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem I have is not knowing how to use the bore sighter. It is rather how to use my bore sighter to my limitations.

I Live in a rural community in a apartment complex that is also subsidized for low income. Although I do no qualify for any subsidies I live here because it is close to work and I can drive into my garage and transfer rifles/shoguns from my vehicle without walking across a parking lot into my apt. What little crime happens in our community most likely happens within my general area.

I do no want to advertise I am a gun guy buy having lasers pointing out my windows. And God forbid although we cannot have dogs every one but me has them? I do not need the cops showing up because I was bore sighting on one of the neighbors dogs, Lol!

So If I can bore sight at 10 yards indoors and maybe sight the scope 2 or 3 inches high do you think It would be on paper at 25yrds/50yrds/100yrds?
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 270 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A ballistic chart for your caliber and bullet weight will show bullet height for all ranges.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive had one for a number of years. not an expensive one, fits into the end of the barrel with different size expandable collets. it works very well for me. i have found using it at the longest range possible greatly increases its accuracy. always gets the first shot on the paper, usually within six inches.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Stick a ruler or tape measure next to your scope, and measure to the middle of the barrel.
    That's the amount you need to be above the red dot at 10' for your bore to be parallel to your scope.
    When it warms up, you can lose elevation clicks to get in line with the point of impact at the ranges you plan on shooting.

It's easier to sandbag the rifle while pointing the bore at a distant object, and adjust the scope to where the crosshairs match the image through the bore. You can start shooting at 50yds & adjust accordingly.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know caliber or bullet you are using but place a target on wall as far as possible, I have 30 feet in my basement that I use like your distance, measure distance from center of scope to center of barrel, set your laser to bullseye on target, place a dot on target above center the same distance as measured from scope to bore, now place a dot above that which equals 1/2 the bullet drop at 100 yards for your bullets example = 3" bullet drop = 1 1/2 " above for dot.
    for me some of my shots are almost dead center but for my windage from recoil except for certain calibers this has worked well for me nearly half century. good luck.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should