In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Replacing the barrel extension on Remington 11-48

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
My 11-48 Remington spits out the bolt handles and according to this article the problem is headspace at the barrel extension. (look down the article to gunsmithing the 11-48)Ive found both a new barrel extension and some of the lettered locking bolts. Does anyone know the procedure to repair this? Can anyone reccomend a manual with this in it? www.leeroysramblings.com/remington_1148_shotgun.html

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Bubba's solution - drill hole in the handle and tie it to the trigger guard with fish line.

I think that other problem(s) could be the source, weak/broken/gummed up detent spring, worn notch for the ball seat/lock into.

added I would consider the fix of applying a shim to the bolt face a DIY project.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Charliemeyer, I replaced the handle and have checked the retaining spring and ball tension and its good. After reading this article I looked at my barrel extension and can see that its beaten down about 1/32 of an inch.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This isn't something I would consider a DIY project. To much risk of damaging the barrel.

Contact Mike Orlen to see if he does extension replacement.
    http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf