In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

High Standard Sport King Barrel?

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have an excellent condition High Standard Sport King "lever model" with a 4" barrel and looked to add a 6" barrel. I bought the below and it's in beautiful shape, brand new & never fired: http://www.GunBroker.com/item/633887599

Note it's marked "Sport King" and is the same barrel (top right) in the group photo. My problem is the "Tongue & groove" is different. It's not a matter of fitting, they're deliberately different. The barrel I currently have carries a cut the same as the 4" barrel pictured on the left of the group photo, showing a long diagonal front cut. I knew this when I bought,couldn't find a definite answer and took a chance.

The tongue & groove cuts on this 6" barrel look just like the Supermatic marked barrels shown in the later pictures. So my questions are - does anyone know which model "Sport King" this barrel fits; or which model "Supermatic" the barrel fits? It's obviously not a "push button with post", it's not the lever - what else is there? Is there a "push button lever"?

The barrel is in beautiful shape and my intention is to buy a gun to go with the barrel. I don't mind buying a wrong barrel, I don't want to buy a wrong gun. Makes sense, right?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John Stimpson, would be able to answer your question. He is a long time H-S collector, with his own H-S web site. He checks in here periodically. But if you want a faster answer. Go to the forum on his site.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a HS Sport King with a 14" barrel put on by a local gunsmith. It was very accurate. IIRC the barrel attachment looked the same as pictured. I have a book on HS but I bet you will get better answers from John.

The current HD Military I own is one sweet shooting pistol, I can hardly wait to take it out for some pistol therapy.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dug out one of my old H-S, reference books. It dates to 1954, by Burr Leyson. Has a photo of a barrel similar to the one you bought. Same notch on the bottom. The barrel is for the Flight King model, that was made after 1953.

My WAG is that they made the same barrel for the Sport King. As soon as they ran out, of the early production frames and barrels. Probably in the time frame, 1953/55.
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The second series that used the lever take down was the lever name series and retained the shrouded breech where the barrel extended about 0.10" out the back of the barrel mounting block. This series did not have the model name on the left side of the barrel. The model name was on the left side of the slide. The barrel mounting block used a " T " slot for mounting the barrel.

The next series was the 100 design series and had a small push button for take down. The rear of the barrel ended flush with the back end of the barrel mounting block. The mounting slot had sloped upper surfaces. The barrel of this series had the model name on the left side of the barrel and "HI-STANDARD" on the left side of the slide.

The 100 series began in August 1953 with the Flite King model followed by the Sport King in January 1954. The Flite King overlapped the earlier lever take down models which basically ended in December 1953 but with outliers as late as June 1954.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    The second series that used the lever take down was the lever name series and retained the shrouded breech where the barrel extended about 0.10" out the back of the barrel mounting block. This series did not have the model name on the left side of the barrel. The model name was on the left side of the slide. The barrel mounting block used a " T " slot for mounting the barrel.

The next series was the 100 design series and had a small push button for take down. The rear of the barrel ended flush with the back end of the barrel mounting block. The mounting slot had sloped upper surfaces. The barrel of this series had the model name on the left side of the barrel and "HI-STANDARD" on the left side of the slide.

The 100 series began in August 1953 with the Flite King model followed by the Sport King in January 1954. The Flite King overlapped the earlier lever take down models which basically ended in December 1953 but with outliers as late as June 1954.

Thank you.

The model I have is as you describe in paragraph one - no model name on the barrel but on slide, and a "T" style mounting block. If I understand correctly, the barrel I just bought will fit a series 100 Sport King, FLite King or Supermatic "push button" (no post) type. This matches what I've read in Numrich's book and schematic.

So much to learn, but it's fun.