In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

5.56 Value please?

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a lot of these at an estate sale.

5.56 in the chest carrier, on stripper clips and all in perfect condition.
Each has all 7 boxes of 20 eash.

I would like to know the value.

Thanks!

[img][/img]D2A52A0D-571B-4B56-897B-5F08EBD103DE-11566-0000127F667B4FD5_zps5f94b61d.jpg

Comments

• rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here, about 40 to 50 cents per round.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Chest carriers"? Aren't they still called bandoliers? Are they still issued with safety pins like they were in WWII?
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    "Chest carriers"? Aren't they still called bandoliers? Are they still issued with safety pins like they were in WWII?

I have no idea!
    I'm too young to know about bandoliers![:D]

I just have a bunch of them I'm thinking about auctioning here.
    Maybe 4000 or so.

I think they are from the mid-eighties, but not positive.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose

I have no idea!
    I'm too young to know about bandoliers![:D]

I just have a bunch of them I'm thinking about auctioning here.
    Maybe 4000 or so.

I think they are from the mid-eighties, but not positive.

Pull a clip out and remove a round. It should say LC for "Lake City" then 2 numbers, eg 87, those numbers are the year it was loaded.

Put a couple bandoleers on the auction and you will find out the current value, probably in the area of 40 to 50 cents a round.
  • 1sgret1sgret Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top,

If they are in a seven pocket bandoleer they are probably 55 gr bullets, unless they have been repacked with newer ammo. The newer bandoleers have four pockets with three 10 round stripper clips in a cardboard insert in each pocket (for the 30 round mags). Each bandoleer should have one charger guide (which fits the 5.56 magazine) and one safety pin regardless whether they are a seven or four pocket bandoleer. The stripper clips are so much easier to load than feeding single rounds into the magazine.

The value is whatever you can sell them for. With the current pricing situation, I would think $0.40 - $0.50 each would be good, considering their age. If they have been stored in ammo cans & in a cool dry location for their entire life, I think you could ask more.

I have just used up my last bunch of old (1970's - 80's) 55 grain 5.56 rounds. They all fired great. They were stored properly. I am into the last can of my Chinese NC 55 gr ammo. This ammo is just as accurate as Federal & just as clean. I wish I bought a few thousand more of them when I could.

Just remember, the 55 grain bullets were designed for the full length M-16 barrel and will not be as accurate in a newer carbine (M4) barrel. They will function fine though.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I'm too young to know about bandoliers![:D][?]

USGI 5.56 has always and continues to be supplied this way, packed six bandoliers per 840rd. ammo can.

What you have there is the older seven pocket design that was introduced when the rifles were issued with 20 rd. magazines. Each pocket contains two 10 rd. strips in a cardboard sleeve. Each bandolier also comes with a sheet metal mag charger and a large black safety pin for carrying strap adjustment.

The newer type is a four pocket design that doubles as an expedient mag carrier. It has a white string stitched across the lower portion of all four pouches. After the ammo has been loaded into mags this cord can be pulled loose and those pouches will now be large enough to accommodate one thirty round mag each.

That ammo appears to be M193, but I agree that you need to remove rounds from the strips and examine headstamps, etc. to determine what you really have. Bandolier repack kits are widely available and there's no telling what sort of ammo you'll find loaded into them.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    I'm too young to know about bandoliers![:D][?]

USGI 5.56 has always and continues to be supplied this way, packed six bandoliers per 840rd. ammo can.

What you have there is the older seven pocket design that was introduced when the rifles were issued with 20 rd. magazines. Each pocket contains two 10 rd. strips in a cardboard sleeve. Each bandolier also comes with a sheet metal mag charger and a large black safety pin for carrying strap adjustment.

The newer type is a four pocket design that doubles as an expedient mag carrier. It has a white string stitched across the lower portion of all four pouches. After the ammo has been loaded into mags this cord can be pulled loose and those pouches will now be large enough to accommodate one thirty round mag each.

That ammo appears to be M193, but I agree that you need to remove rounds from the strips and examine headstamps, etc. to determine what you really have. Bandolier repack kits are widely available and there's no telling what sort of ammo you'll find loaded into them.

It is indeed M193, has the black safety pin, and the sheet metal mag charger.
    The case head is marked LC 85. or 1985.

Great info all!
    Thanks!