In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Engraving

45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know a good engraver? Interested in getting a revolver done. Thanks.
Ron in Illinois

Comments

• 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this is the right page, but here goes. I am looking for someone who could engrave some lettering on wood stocks of rifles. Would anyone know of someone who could do this. I live in Illinois. Thanks. Bshooter
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The recent "...fully engraved Colt Ltw" thread got me to wondering something I know nada about. Thought I'd ask here first to hear from voices of experience hopefully, before 'net searching...

Say for a customer, how is engraving cost pre-determined by the engraver to write up the order? By the job, by the hour, by say intricacy of detail, by what, how...???

Quite an "in general" question realized, and easy imagine with some highly skilled artisans of the craft, if you have to ask the cost, it's gonna be too much for you, ha. Yet, to learn about, had to start somewhere with it, with the basics.

Any insight appreciated.
    45er
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    There's really no set fee for qualified engravers although there is usually a minimum charge. I think most engravers charge according to style and percentage of coverage: "A,B,C,D" (25%, 50%, 75% 100%) plus any extra features like inlays, stipling, letters, custom design, etc.

You may want to visit http://www.fega.com/ for more information.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    High grade engraving can often times cost more than the gun being engraved In my opinion Good aftermarket engraving MAY increase the value of the gun ,While Factory engraving MOST LIKELY will increase the value . The older the factory engraving Like on Winchester
    Rifles or Colt Pistols the more it will raise the price . I have a faily nice Colt First Generation Saa. It is in a fairly rare Caliber . 38 Special However because of a lose of records BY Colt During the time frame it was made and the fact it only hadaout 50% original Finish I could not prove it was original so I hade it engraved by a friend always wanted one fancey pistol . Pictures to follow

DSCN0213.jpg[img][/img]
    ENGRAVED4.jpg

[img][/img]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a real SAA fan, but I sure like that one.

Sorry fan didn't make the first post!
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over and above the factory engraved guns, that was referred to previously.

The value of recently engraved guns, i.e. 1950's, to the present. Is based on the name and reputation, of the modern engraver. The engraving by a unknown modern engraver. Might be as good or better, than that of a "famous name modern engraver". But the "famous name's" guns, will bring top dollar all of the time. I always figured it was so much hogwash, but that is the way it is.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that even NON factory engraved guns continue to increase in value if done well and by the more famous engravers. Such as, Angelo Bee, Andrew Bourbon, Arnold Griebel, John Adams, and of course my personal favorite Alvin A White.
    [img][/img]formal2008andwinchesters059.jpg
    [img][/img]formal2008andwinchesters060.jpg
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In the case of most factory engraved firearms, in addition to paying for the level of engraving, you'll pay ever increasing premiums for who performs the work. In the case of Colt, I believe engravers are rated as Standard, Expert and Master. Prices tend to double as the skill of the engraver increases so a $2000 engraving performed by a Standard engraver will cost $6000 if performed by a Master.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I charge $60/square inch for my "standard" pattern. More for more complicated patterns. Some jobs simply have to be priced by the job.