In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unknown .22 conversion unit?

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Ran across a 1911 conversion unit today. With markings I've never seen before.

It was marked. "U.S. Arms Corp. Riverhead N.Y." Googled this name when I got home. It was the outfit, that made high quality single action revolvers. No indication that I could find, of them making .22 conversion units for 1911's.

The conversion unit appeared to be in excellent condition. No way, was I going to buy a unknown orphan though.

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    are you kidding me it is worth 10,000 [:0]
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you heard of KART conversions??

That was one of his first units made.

If it was 5" barrel ,there were only 12 made, 6" about 2000.

Go buy it now.

A C&P...

""Don Nygord(deceased. I believe) was a Custom Gunsmith in California. The Kart Conversions were designed and pateted by Frederick H. Kart(I worked for him)..first he cut up Colt and Ace conversions and then became part of United State Arms of Riverhaed NY who produced both the conversion and the "Abilene" revolvers..hard times..money wise ended that venture and Mrkart resumed making and marketing the conversion by having the sub-assy's made in Japan and final machining and assy done on Broad Ave in Aquebougue ,NY I don't have the exact serial number ranges(I'm sure Fred does) but I still shoot the first two produced for resale..#10 and #11.""
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    Have you heard of KART conversions??

That was one of his first units made.

If it was 5" barrel ,there were only 12 made, 6" about 2000.

Go buy it now.

A C&P...

""Don Nygord(deceased. I believe) was a Custom Gunsmith in California. The Kart Conversions were designed and pateted by Frederick H. Kart(I worked for him)..first he cut up Colt and Ace conversions and then became part of United State Arms of Riverhaed NY who produced both the conversion and the "Abilene" revolvers..hard times..money wise ended that venture and Mrkart resumed making and marketing the conversion by having the sub-assy's made in Japan and final machining and assy done on Broad Ave in Aquebougue ,NY I don't have the exact serial number ranges(I'm sure Fred does) but I still shoot the first two produced for resale..#10 and #11.""

Thanks for the heads up! Wish I knew about it, earlier today. When I GOOGLED it, using "U.S. Arms Corp. Riverhead N.Y. as a search term. Nothing regarding Kart. His conversions, or association with U.S. Arms Corp., came up.

EDIT #1,

What search term did you use to find this information? And what site/forum was it on?
    edited November -1
    I mostly use google.
    Searched on "us arms corp riverhead,ny"

On the second page of hits....."how to get into touch with kart..."

brings you to here....
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/Hand-Guns/Hand-Guns/Does-anyone-know-how-to-get-ahold-of-Kart-Sporting-Arms-Web-219864?Page=9
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    I mostly use google.
    Searched on "us arms corp riverhead,ny"

On the second page of hits....."how to get into touch with kart..."

brings you to here....
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/Hand-Guns/Hand-Guns/Does-anyone-know-how-to-get-ahold-of-Kart-Sporting-Arms-Web-219864?Page=9

Thanks, just didn't dig deep enough.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Kart conversions IMHO bet conversion units ever made many people That are great shooters used them Back in THE DAY The Marine team members used them at Camp Perry for a number of years . Getting them to 100 % function could give SOME people a hard time . The chief cause was because they tried to use wadcutter 45 pistols as a base . This was in the day when pistolsmiths Peened the Frame rails to get slide to frame fit on their bullseye GUNS SO AFTER THE FRAME WAS NO LONGER TOP NOTCH FOR THEIR 45 wADCUTTER . They tried to install a Kart conversion to make a bullseye 22 this caused feed problems because the Magazine locked up to High in the frame.The critical thing that then happens is the slide movement is retarded from friction against the Disconnector and top of magazine so pistol smith Lower the magazine latch that results in no longer having a straight shot of the bullet nose into back of barrel chamber . Use a Good "NOT worn out frame. I have gone a whole season of practice as well as matches without one single Failure to feed ,Fire ,eject empty case
    some people think the barrel Shroud is too heavy to allow you to mount a Red Dot but there is an aluminum Shroud available

BABUN You said you worked for FRED did you ever go with him to Camp Perry I met Fred many times he even drank a beer in my Hut I shot beside his QC guy at Perry I think the frist year his units were sold with the NON ace Slides
    edited November -1
    Sorry Perry, that was a cut and paste from another website.

It wasn't me talking. I did have dealings with his company when I lived not far from him.

I have a Gold cup with that slide peening done to it from many years ago!!!