In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rem Mohawk 48 magazine tube hard to load

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
It is extremely difficult to force two shells into the magazine tube of my Remington Mohawk 48 recoil operated shotgun. Once they are finally in, the gun shoots fine, UNLESS I don't fire the two shells in the magazine tube. Then they won't come out. To get them out I have to either manually press in on the shell latch (difficult) or pump the barrel to simulate recoil action that occurs when firing the gun (dangerous). I either have to leave the two shells in the magazine tube until I fire the gun or fix the problem. I'd like to fix it because loading it is killing my fingers. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it needs to be fully taken apart cleaned and lubed. My dad the last of the 5 boys drafted in 42, used motor oil to preserve the metal in/on all the guns. I got my uncle Charlie's model 29 Remington he bought in 1929 back in the 80's.

I could cycle the action with difficulty. I made the 7 or 9 different size steel punches to take it completely apart. I soaked everything metal I could in a heated ultra sonic cleaner and used MEK on the big pieces. Once correctly lubed and reassembled it was a real pleasure to hunt with - slick as a whistle to operate.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Shotguns-37896/1148-41189.htm

added. So it could be a burr, a dent or a bent part. Have you tried other factory ammo. My Ithaca 37 has a much tighter magazine tube/throat than my Rem 870's. Reloads require a trim threw the MEC collet Super Sizer for the 37 to function as a repeater.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it, but no improvement. I see a trip to a gunsmith in my future.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like an internal issue and if disassembly and cleaning doesn't correct it then you will need a gunsmith to determine cause and correct it.
    personally I would try to disassemble it again and clean all parts and reassemble just to be sure it isn't something I did.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should