In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cover, spare barrel M8?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Was visiting my Dad this past weekend and he passed along to me a split bamboo flyrod that had been my grand dad's. It's stored in a heavy OD green canvas case marked "Cover, Spare Barrel M8". Cover is about 37 inches long, leather bottom on one end and a folding flap with a snap on the other end. It's in pretty good condition. What was this a spare barrel to? My grand dad was a SeaBee during WWII, would this be something he would have been likely to have brought home?
Thanks in advance!

Forge,
Similar, mine is marked M8 whereas the one you show is marked M9, and mine is longer and more slender. Was the M8 (or 9) a designation for a particular rifle or was it a designation for the barrel only?
Thanks, FM.

Charlie and Guntech,
Thanks for the info! Don't have any spare aviation .50 cal barrels to store in it but it does make a great case for Grandpa's ol' split bamboo fly rod. I reckon it can keep doing that duty 'till I'm ready to pass it on.

Comments