In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A Armalite Mag

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
Since the Armalite AR 10 uses M14 mags. After they are adapted to use in an AR10 will they still function in an M1A ?????? I'm sure the two use different followers so they'd have to be changed.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes, but...

When Armalite selected the M14 magazines as a host for their AR-10 rifles it was during the Crime Bill period and to avoid creating a new high capacity magazine the M-14 magazines had to remain functional in the M14 rifle. To get the bolt catch to work a slot was milled down the back of the magazine that partially eats into the lug that the M14 needs to lock it into the M14 magazine well (about 1/2 an inch is milled away). The modified magazine will still function in the M14, but milling the lug weakens the lug and it will likely break at some (inopportune) time.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Yes, but...

When Armalite selected the M14 magazines as a host for their AR-10 rifles it was during the Crime Bill period and to avoid creating a new high capacity magazine the M-14 magazines had to remain functional in the M14 rifle. To get the bolt catch to work a slot was milled down the back of the magazine that partially eats into the lug that the M14 needs to lock it into the M14 magazine well (about 1/2 an inch is milled away). The modified magazine will still function in the M14, but milling the lug weakens the lug and it will likely break at some (inopportune) time.

Mark I recently sold my only current 308 Armalite. I still have the old one but I'm looking into a M1A Bush rifle or converting an M1A Scout rifle. I've still got a bunch of mags that if worse comes to worse I could sell. Was hoping to save a few to work in the M1A if I should happen to find one.