In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

deer - shotgun - leupold scope

Rugar007Rugar007 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between a VX-R 1.25-4x20 and a VX-R 1.25-4x20 patrol? (besides the price) I'm looking for a scope to mount on my shotgun for Iowa shotgun deer hunting. Is the VX-R 1.25-4x20 better than the VX-R 2-7x33 when used for static and moving objects (deer) with a range of 20 yards out to 150 yards?

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I don't know if they are still made, or if you want a variable power, but a cousin, also from Iowa (Allamakee Co) has a Leupold fixed Lengthened eye relief scope- it's either 2 or 2.5x, mounted on his 870. the eye relief is about 6 or 7 inches so it's quite quick to get on game with and no need to be concerned about the 12 ga short mag recoil.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience with rifle scopes, the lower magnification is marginally better for moving targets in heavy cover, at shorter ranges than the higher power scope you list.

Two power is not that much more than 1.25, and should work just as well. On the far end of your range, I would be more prone to use the seven power for better target definition.

Most of my scopes are in the 3-9x40, or 4.5-14x40 range, and I even have some deer rifles that have 6-24x50, and 5.5-22x56 scopes on them. I do, however have two with the 1-4x20 scopes on, and one is an AR-15 in 300AAC, the other is a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, in 45-70.

On the last note, you did not mention of what type of shotgun you are putting this on. If it is a semi-auto, be careful about the scope which you put on it. The "shotgun" labeled scopes are made for the heavy bi-directional recoil the 12 gauge semi-auto's have, that is known to be hard on scopes. It does not matter of which price it is either. I have seen semi-auto shotguns, and pig spring piston air rifles chew up and spit out scopes in the $1000.00 price range as well as the $79.00 price range.

Hope this helps.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 2x7 on a Belgium BAR. Very handy, on 2 I could see the front sight and about 1/2 of the barrel.

What is your group size at 150 yards and what ammo are you shooting?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The patrol scope has exposed dials that are 1/10th mil with the tactical reticle and the standard vx-r has 1/4 min adjustments with covers over the knobs.

patrol:
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm/

regular:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm-includes-metric/
  • Options
    freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say 2x7 and always hunt with the scope on 2 (you can turn it up if needed). I'm a fan of keep it simple. I've hunted with a Weaver 1.5x5 on a 12ga 1100 for 35+years and have had no problems. You will not regret putting a scope on the shotgun, it makes everything so clear, a real confidence builder.