In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

98k BNZ 43 S...any idea what the S is for?

gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
Been going through my 98k collection and have a BNZ 43 S and the "S" is throwing me. It is not the SS rune but a regular S under the serial number. Notice in Blue Book that the BNZ S is double value compared to regular 98k's. Any expert know what the S is for? I am thinking it is SS but not being a rune is strange. Concentration camp made? Suggestions?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. I have seen a single rune, never heard of an S. I do have a 1936 S in very nice condition.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=81181
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bore Diameter?
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Bore Diameter?

No, its the usual 8x57. I did check "Backbone..." and it says that 8k single S were made and they were made outside the Steyr factory so I am thinking they were assembled in a camp...but just a WAG.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gents,
    Take these facts to the bank: The sig "rune" & the serial number's suffix ("s", in this case) are 2 different marking issues. The rune is applied to receiver ring @ TDC, while the s/n suffix is stamped under the rifle's 1-to-5 digit s/n.

Bore dia will always run .323" minimum on a K98k.

Re: " .. a regular S under the serial number.":
    It's the s/n suffix, found on each block of 9,999 rifles produced AFTER the 1st, or "null block". They run from the "null" (no suffix at all) block followed by letter blocks a thru z, & then roll-over to aa, bb, cc, etc. blocks (for those armories with higher production figures).

BBOGV is useless for WW2 German weapons values.

BBOTW is vastly better but very dated/flawed.

Q: "Any expert know what the S is for? I am thinking it is SS but not being a rune is strange. Concentration camp made? Suggestions?"
    A: Not necessarily true. There's nothing unusual about a sans-rune bnz 43. If produced w/ a rune marking LOCATED BETWEEN "bnz" & the 43 date, it was manufactured by, intended & destined for issue to an SS-oriented unit. In other words: produced for SS consumption, under SS direction. Of course, slave labor was heavily involved here.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b0400879
    Gents,
    Take these facts to the bank: The sig "rune" & the serial number's suffix ("s", in this case) are 2 different marking issues. The rune is applied to receiver ring @ TDC, while the s/n suffix is stamped under the rifle's 1-to-5 digit s/n.

Bore dia will always run .323" minimum on a K98k.

Re: " .. a regular S under the serial number.":
    It's the s/n suffix, found on each block of 9,999 rifles produced AFTER the 1st, or "null block". They run from the "null" (no suffix at all) block followed by letter blocks a thru z, & then roll-over to aa, bb, cc, etc. blocks (for those armories with higher production figures).

BBOGV is useless for WW2 German weapons values.

BBOTW is vastly better but very dated/flawed.

Q: "Any expert know what the S is for? I am thinking it is SS but not being a rune is strange. Concentration camp made? Suggestions?"
    A: Not necessarily true. There's nothing unusual about a sans-rune bnz 43. If produced w/ a rune marking LOCATED BETWEEN "bnz" & the 43 date, it was manufactured by, intended & destined for issue to an SS-oriented unit. In other words: produced for SS consumption, under SS direction. Of course, slave labor was heavily involved here.

b0400879......thanks for your feedback. Very helpful. [:)]
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apology for being ignorant and using up a reply post in asking, yet what does "BBOTW" stand for?
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45er
    .... what does "BBOTW" stand for?

Backbone of the Wehrmacht (The German K98k Rifle, 1934 - 1945)
    by Richard D Law
    Collector Grade Publications
    Author's Revised Edition, 1993
    384 pages, 478 illustrations