In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S & W Questions

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a few S & W revolvers at this weekend's Reno Gun Show and have a few questions.

A 6" "pre-model 10" with serial # S9938XX - it came with squared bottom service stocks, am I correct this should carry rounded bottom diamond stocks? A DOM would be appreciated. The address line is just the one liner "Made in USA".

The other is a "NIB" Smith 58 with all the factory stuff - screwdriver, warranty card, etc. Serial # is N2610XX. If DOM is +50 years ago I can dispense with the CA 10 day wait.

Thanks

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a copy of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson in front of me, I can't figure out what you bought.

The M58 was introduced in 1964, so it is unlikely to be a C&R.

Once you take delivery, post photos for us. Be sure they show 1) everything stamped on the side of the frame where it is covered by the cylinder yoke, 2) the bottom of the grip frame, & 3) the back of the wood grips.

Neal

EDIT: I was not clear; the C&R 50 year rule applies to the specific gun, not the "model". I'm just saying that the odds are against dsf's purchase having been made in 1964, as most M58's were made later than that. Therefore, we (& his FFL) need to positively know the SN.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "The M58 was introduced in 1964, so it is unlikely to be a C&R."..................ah...1964+50=2014........should be c&r ok
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The N prefix on the N frames didn't start until 1969 your serial number falls in the 1974-1977 range

The pre 10 that serial number falls between 1945-1948
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about the California 10 day waiting time? Need to talk to DOJ, but I think if you bring in into state from out of state it has to be registered by an FFL in CA.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Are you talking about the California 10 day waiting time? Need to talk to DOJ, but I think if you bring in into state from out of state it has to be registered by an FFL in CA.

Yes, CA ....[V]

I'll do the DOJ self register on the "pre-10". I used my C & R FFL - CA hasn't yet screwed with our ability to buy C & Rs when we're physically out of state. I thought the gun was made in early '50's but with the one line address nice to see it's earlier.

Regarding the 58, serial number aside I should have figured it was made after the 64 & 65 dates - it's in the dark blue cardboard box with a later model screwdriver. I did the DROS paperwork at the show, will be OK'd for pick up next Tuesday. Much as I like Auburn, CA I'm not too crazy about having to do a 300 mile round trip to get the thing.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves the Mdl 58 is fixed sights. Don't think it would have come with a sight adjustment tool (screw driver).
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The screw driver also fits the side plate screws. S&W just put the same packet in each with the only difference being cleaning rod length and sometimes its diameter.
    edited November -1
    ^^
    Correct. But I always found the handle to be too small to get enought torque going for a sideplate. I have a few older Smith screwdrivers - some knurled, some black & knurled - sitting at home. Was kind of surprised they're worth a few $$$.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I believe square-bottomed stocks are correct for the M&P through the 'S' prefix and well into the 'C' prefix. They continued to be applied to the Combat Masterpiece after the M&P's began to be fitted with round-bottomed stocks, and that didn't change. BTW, they should be numbered.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dg101win
    If memory serves the Mdl 58 is fixed sights. Don't think it would have come with a sight adjustment tool (screw driver).

You're right. I was looking at the cleaning rod under the warranty card.