In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Series 70 Engraved Colt

cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased an engraved Colt on GB. It was advertised as factory engraved, no box or papers but with presentation case. Pistol is unfired. Engraving appears to be "C". Should I get a letter. Looks like a letter will cost about 250. I kind of choked at over 200 dollars for a letter. Will it add that much to the value?.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a letter is a good plan for collectables/investment firearms if you can get them. When you go to sell, the letter will likely pay for itself. I would think the letter would spell out the class of engraving.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would say that a Colt letter will add 50 % to the value If and only if the letter shows that it ws engraved before the original shipping. and if it is in 100 % condition. Used or even handled will reduce value.

EDIT The seller may be as honest as the day is long but he may also be second owner and the first owner neglected to tell him who did the engraving and it was assume it was factory.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to rain on your parade. But not getting a factory letter, substantiating that the engraving was Colt factory. Prior to purchase. Wasn't prudent.

No matter the quality of the engraving. There will be a substantial difference in value. When the gun is sold, either by you or your heirs.
  • cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what you are telling me is that any seller purporting to have a factory engraved piece should have a letter otherwise "buyer beware". I did not even think about the seller being less than honest. The gun is nickeled with colt medallion ivory grips. Engraving is nicely done even if it turns out to be non factory. Rufe-snow is correct I think. I took a chance that all was as advertised because the price did not exceed what I was willing to pay. Will let you know how all turns out. It will make a nice looking Bar-B-Que gun if non-factory.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowboy77845
    So what you are telling me is that any seller purporting to have a factory engraved piece should have a letter otherwise "buyer beware". I did not even think about the seller being less than honest. The gun is nickeled with colt medallion ivory grips. Engraving is nicely done even if it turns out to be non factory. Rufe-snow is correct I think. I took a chance that all was as advertised because the price did not exceed what I was willing to pay. Will let you know how all turns out. It will make a nice looking Bar-B-Que gun if non-factory.

With the advent of Laser printers, and very knowledgeable computer folks. Dealing in high dollar collectable guns, nowadays. I wouldn't trust a factory letter was authentic. Unless I was the one, who actually got it from Colt. I guess I'm a cynic. But I've seen to many crooked slimeballs, in this game over the years.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowboy77845

Face it, most sellers are not experts on factory engraving. I can go thru the listings and see so many "original" and "deluxe" and "special order" and "original bluing" Winchesters that are so far from the truth as to be almost laughable.

It's entirely 100% buyer beware. Look at the pictures and ignore the words.