In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1858 Remington New Model Navy

martnomartno Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have come into possession of what I have determined to be a New Model Navy .36. (1861 ?). Not quite sure if that is correct. I have included a link below to some pictures.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/13mile9/library/1858 New Model?sort=4&page=1

A Few Notes About The Pistol

1. As you see, it has been tampered with...loading lever removed. Looking at the patina, this was done a very long time ago.
2. Reason? Cylinder pin is rusted in. I believe this is the reason someone removed it, and trimmed the cylinder pin so it would spin.. and then cut back the loading lever collar.
3. Cylinder Lock (Stop) somehow was removed, not in the pistol.
4. Trigger & Cylinder Stop screw is actually bent and broken off;
tip of the screw is still in the threads.
5. Cylinder is all "buggered" up from many years of someone enjoying having an older revolver around to dry fire.
6. Dove tail for sight is very wide, or wider than what I've seen on others, and it seems to be a brass sight.
7. Obviously, it has been rusty for a while and is pitted in places.

Info on the Gun

1. S# -- 52,xxx
2. Inspection stamps are under brass trigger guard & on the guard.
3. No markings on the wood grips.
4. Serial number under grips, under barrel, and on trigger guard.

Questions:

Due to the condition of this pistol, I almost consider it to be inrelic condition... stick a nail on the wall, hang it up and talk about it.

Or, is this something I should pursue to find a good home for?

If it has any value in this condition, what might be an approximate value?

Also, any history you might know regarding this run of serial numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Would this be one of the transitional models?

Thank you.

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by martno

Due to the condition of this pistol, I almost consider it in relic condition... stick a nail on the wall, hang it up and talk about it

Personally I think this ^^^ is the best outcome, as for as $ value I see little unless it proven to be issued to General Ulysses Grant or some other famous person but I very well could be wrong. I wouldn't be ashamed at all to have it hanging on my wall, I think you'll enjoy doing that [;)].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had it I'd scare up a rusty loading lever to make it visually complete. It would then be presentable as a wall hanger. Complete it should be worth $2-400. I had one that looked as bad as yours I built up from parts to functional that LGS got me $1000 for.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, it's what we would call a "decorator".

But, that doesn't mean it's worthless. There will always be folks out there in the business of buying old stuff to hang on the walls of steak houses, & you might get a fair price for it. Just list it on GunBroker under ANTIQUE GUNS & include the word DECORATOR in the title.

Neal
  • martnomartno Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    If I had it I'd scare up a rusty loading lever to make it visually complete. It would then be presentable as a wall hanger....

Yes, this is what I might do, and I might go ahead and put a Cylinder Stop back in -- after having someone gently remove that broke screw tip so I can install a new one. The gun (triggering system) works perfectly fine, and putting a cylinder stop in would only complete it. That cylinder situation... well that won't be fixed unless that pin was cut on both sides...

Thanks the advice on this... and if anyone has any "historical" input on the particular serial number grouping, I would appreciate it.