In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-1 Garand problem

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a M-1 Garand(converted to .308-probably not relevant). The issue is that the in block loaded clip will not latch into the mag well. I have found that if I remove the recoil spring it will latch in ever time. It seem to be a case of the clip not going in quite far enough to latch in. I have also observed that even when the recoil spring is installed but the gun is not assembled the clip will sometime latch, but if I install the trigger group it will not at all. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bolt on my M-1 Garand will not fully retract without extra effort. It fires and ejects okay, but I have to push the operating rod forward to chamber the next round. An additional problem is the safety doesn't work. Any advice would be appreciated.

diamondpete
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wait For Mark he should tell you what to look for
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Scott Duff's "The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide", it is likely:
    --- Deformed clip
    --- Broken clip ejector
    --- Bad bullet guide &/or follower arm

But, if your M1 rifle was made by CAI, get back to us, the answers will be different.

If your stock is not USGI, we may have different answers.

Neal

EDIT: Commercial stocks usually require fitting. When you close the trigger guard, it should rotate freely until you get within about 1" of closing, then you should feel increasingly more resistance until it snaps shut. You may need to have a Garandsmith look at your rifle, as there are many other possible causes for your problem; it's called a "technical inspection", & should cost < $100.
    edited November -1
    Its not the clip as I tried several that work find in other guns. The stock is probably not USGI. I will check the other parts to see if that is the issue.
  • 44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    weird, mine has been doing the same thing, its in a new cmp stock
    edited November -1
    Well I replaced the follower assembly thinking this was the problem. not so. I have switched the clip release with another gun, no luck. Still can't figure out the problem. The loaded clip will not latch in unless the recoil spring is taken out. Don't know what this effects in regard to the problem. HELP Please.
    edited November -1
    Figured it out myself, it was the bullet guide.