In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman 45

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Bought it and set it up so the bullets go down and are pushed up and out. The disc and rod move together. The disc is screwed onto the rod. What is needed to get the Lyman working?

Comments

• victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Bought it and set it up so the bullets go down and are pushed up and out. The disc and rod move together. The disc is screwed onto the rod. What is needed to get the Lyman working?

Edit The problem is the lube is not being pushed into the die.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the disk gets onto the lube it will stop spinning and turn down. You will have to hold the disk until it;s in the lube resevore.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you change to the O-ringed follower that leaks a lot less you will also need to change the screw also.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Brier. I couldn't push it down but it got me to thinking. I got out the ole heat gun, applied heat while cranking the wrench and the disk started going down. Then I thought of checking where the lube enters the die area, applied heat there, kept cranking and eventually the lube started coming out.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    If you change to the O-ringed follower that leaks a lot less you will also need to change the screw also.

Charlie,

Where does the O-ring go? Is the follower the part that is inserted into the die or fits on top of the lube?

Where does the screw go?

I am ending up with a lot of lube at the top of the old style die.

Jim
    edited November -1
    My old 45 had a split brass skirt on the follower, lots of lube squeezed past. So I bought the 4500 follower that has 2 big O-rings for the seal. Naturally they thoughtfully changed the tread size so I had to buy a new lead screw too.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html

part #2 and #9 I think.
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

When you mentioned a split brass ring, it identified what you were talking about. Gratefully, I'm not getting any lube past that follower.

Now onto figuring out other matters.
    edited November -1
    Fiddled with a bit more, found a video on using a Lyman 4500, and got it working great. The lube is very stiff though and might require a warmer.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
    edited November -1
    Some of the "New" lubes are very stiff and do require a heater. 50/50 Alox/beeswax just need to be in comfortable room temperature. I'm not impressed by rooster red or the blue crap.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I buy my lube from this website, they are great.[:)]

http://www.lsstuff.com/

I use the 2500+ lube. It does not require a heater but
    is stiffer than the NRA formula. Smokes less also.

If you are loading for rifle then try the carnuba red - but
    it does need heat to flow.

The Lyman 45 is OK, but if you come across a used RCBS lubrimatic
    buy it! I like mine, it works great and RCBS customer service is
    as good as Dillon's.[:)]