In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage 110 barrel threads?

sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Considering rebarreling a savage 110.
The new or used barrels I find are listed with at least 2 different thread sizes.
My rifle was purchased new in 93 but the 110 has been in production since 58 (I think).
How would I know I'm purchasing the right tube for my action?
Any help is much appreciated.
Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In "Bolt Action Rifles", by de Haas and van Zwoll. (3) different 110's are listed. All with a OD of 1.055 and 20 TPI. But 3 different shank lengths. ".710", "1.315" and "1.565".
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Numrich shows barrels with 1.115 dia. and 1.050 dia. threads.
    They don't address shank lengths.
    Now I'm even more concerned I could go wrong.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • South40South40 Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in '93, your barrel will be "small shank" with 1.05 diameter. The 1.115 diameter "large shank" is for the WSM calibers that became popular circa 2000.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info you guys.
    Getting it narrowed down a bit anyhow.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been screwing 110 barrels into actions w/o issue for a decade. A few had threads showing in front of the barrel nut. Not pretty but always worked fine.
    edited November -1
    South40,
    Thanks. I got it before the edit.
    Not sure why GB would care cuz I only saw services for sale. Plus LOTS of good info.
    They must not travel in "all the right circles".
    The gunsmith I'm using is a beginner, co-worker, accomplished long range shooter and just an all-round, " hell of a nice guy".
    The deal he's offered me is to "bed the scope rail" (whatever that means) and action, in the stock of my choice, if I split the price of a (quality) .300 win mag reamer with him.
    He'll also work up a handload for me and provide me 60 rnds of that load for testing.
    My rifle is a 7mm rem mag package rifle that shoots well, but always wished I'd gone with a 300. Win. mag or 30/06.
    Will still go 30/06 with a 24 in barrel if I can find it, or .300 cuz its available.
    Anyway, appreciate the help guys.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My rifle is a 7mm rem mag package rifle that shoots well, but always wished I'd gone with a 300. Win. mag or 30/06.

If ever I've heard of a great reason to buy another rifle or 2, (300 mag. & .30/06) that's it!!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend you buy 10 boxes of brass from the same lot. As a kid I spent a lot of time with a 110E in 30-06. I would much rather shoot the 7mm Rem Mag.