In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Large Frame Lightning rifle question

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
I am away from home and my books. I can't find anything on the net. In fact I can't say I even remember seeing it.

But has anyone seen a break down of number of large frames built in each caliber. That is, they built X in 38/56 and Y in 40/60 and so on. Don't like my chances on this.

Any help appreciated. Thanks..Chip

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO CHIPit does not show production figures but one of the best books on Lightning rifles I have states 38-56/ 40-60 / 45-60 / 45-85 /
    50-95 for the large frame guns TED Tivey wrote the book ISBN 0 949742 96 Cheers Perry shooter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry Shooter,

I have Tivey's book at home, just not here with me. I know the 50/95 will bring a premium, but I'm not sure if that's because there were fewer made or just because it is 50 cal.

I know the 44/40 was the most common in the medium frames followed by the 32/20. But I can't recall seeing the same information on the express rifles.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes I have had a number of medium frame guns most have been 32/20 but they suffer from bore size from factory Bigger than what other rife makers and factory ammo makers use I could never get good groups except when I used hollow base 32 S&W LONG bullets "off to spring turkey hunting Cheers Karl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally found some information in an article. Not sure if it is gospel though. 40/60 most common, 45/60 rarest, 50/95 rare, no mention of the 38/56 or the 45/85. So I guess they are in between. It is a start.