In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gunstocks

gunpirategunpirate Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
Used to order 90% complete stocks from Bishops and Fajen but I can't find them any more can anyone give me a number or address

Comments

• gunpirategunpirate Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know how to remove the god awful gloss bowling pin finish on Remington rifles. I think its called RKW or something like that. I've put remover on it and the finish won't come off. Help I need to strip several beat up stocks
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certistrip will remove it.
    https://tinyurl.com/ycrzuly2

It may take a second or third application, but it will do the job.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a scraper and low grit # sandpaper on a mouse sander. Dust mask and eye protection are a good plan.
  • HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave up on liquid strippers years ago. I now use my random orbit sander with 220 grit to start, then finish up with 400. Before I start, I mask off any checkering so I don't over run it. Then I sometimes finish with 400 wt. by hand, sanding only with the grain. I can usually completely remove that da-- finish in an hour or less. Ready to start finishing.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a browning bl22 stock once it has the deep clear finish, but had chips and water had made white spots on the edge of the chips. I used a citrus based orange stripper and the side of a putty knife scrapping easy, just pulling towards me. Only took a few coating scrapes and some sanding as it was ready to go. just be careful and don't push to hard with the edge of he putty knife.
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad's stripper works great, make sure to wear gloves
  • jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a marine grade stripper and it'll take it off. Mop it on and wrap it with some plastic wrap. That keeps it from drying out too fast and gives it extra time to work. If it's being stubborn use a soft wire brush to help work it in.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jkbt1
    Use a marine grade stripper and it'll take it off. Mop it on and wrap it with some plastic wrap. That keeps it from drying out too fast and gives it extra time to work. If it's being stubborn use a soft wire brush to help work it in.

the checkering is the problem, if you let it pool up and Crack the finish it will soften the wood.
  • jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never ever seen stripper soften wood. It has no effect on wood. You could leave it overnight and see no effect. Something isn't right if you are having that problem.