In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

REAL gunsmith ?

blitz65blitz65 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for a real , knowledgeable gunsmith in the Beaumont,Texas area to install a correct vintage Kleins' mount and 4x scope on my 6.5mm italian carcano rifle .I left it with a fellow on 4th street in town , but after 2 months he hadn't even touched it yet so I picked it up ! Any help would be appreciated .

THANKS!

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    blitz65,

quote:REAL gunsmith ?

I try to let many of our topics sit for a day or two so that the members get a chance to answer or ask other pertinent questions relevant to the original post. But my curiosity is piqued so I guess I'll try to resolve a couple of issues first.

I am familiar with the mount you're using and it's application to the rifle in question.

First and foremost, what is a REAL gunsmith? Please elaborate best you can.

Second, I realize that we all have different expectations for the various trades and specialty professionals but your reaction to the gunsmith you chose warrants a little more explanation.

Third, I'm not very familiar with Beaumont, TX. or the gunsmithing community (there are a ton of gunsmiths in Texas) but I can do some asking around if that will help.

Best.
  • 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    hell Joseph. i can undrstand your frustration. however, i know the gunsmith. he is very good and very busy. i do bluing at times from work he sends my way. i would take it back and be patient.
    best, david.[;)]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    LIKE ABOVE, YOU HAVE TO 'STAND IN LINE' LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE. I KNOW GUNSMITHS THAT ARE BACKED UP 'YEARS'.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no excuse for a simple drill and tap job to take more than an hour. He obviously does not want to do the job.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    blitz65,

The only gunsmith that I know, in Texas, is about 10 counties away from you:

Steve Young
    205 Antler Lane
    Lampasas, TX 76550

(512) 564-1015
    steve@stevesgunz.com

Here is his "shipping" page, with some timeframe estimates:

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=13&zenid=l6r7i4laponfvo20inr27p6qj5

quote:*** Due to an increase of demand, the turn around times are currently running around 8-10 months.

Good luck!

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    There is no excuse for a simple drill and tap job to take more than an hour. He obviously does not want to do the job.

How far back in line is the OP?
    Setup, including locating the precise CL, can take an hour alone, esp if the mount is an "oddball" (we already know the rifle and mount are oddballs)
    Every reputable smith I know works on the "first in, first out" principal and all of them are carrying at least a 9 months backlog (my favorite 2 gunsmiths have had a constant 18-24 month backlog for the 30 years that I've been dealing with them).

Now, Bubba, with his "no brand" cordless drill, can get to your job a little quicker and cheaper, but you do get what you pay for.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never did a Carcano but a slug of others. A correct jig is $500+. I'd bet it is closer to 2 hours to rip it apart, jig it up, D&T, install the base and put it back together.

Ordering and getting parts is sometimes out of the smith hands. It takes time to reorder or send wrong parts back. Blueing was only done 3 or 4 times a year unless someone want to pay a lot extra. Heating up the tanks takes time. 2 - 4 months of back log for good work is nothing.

I have seen a lot of bubba jobs, it's worth the wait to have it done correctly. Nothing uglier than holes drilled in the wrong place.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly

Yeah. Right. Some of the filthy junk brought in to drill requires an hour just for teardown, cleanup, lubing and reassembly. A gunsmith cannot return a gun in filthy condition. Add to that a carefule measuring of the mount, custom fitting screw lengths, aside from the machine work.

I always D&T'd on my Bridgeport using a vise and the readout. If I have to setup the vise and indicate it in, that's another 10 to 15 minutes. Then make a sketch with mount hole spacing.. then spot the holes.. then double check each location.. then drill.. then handtap.. then deburr interior.. yatta yatta yatta.