In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 479RR production numbers

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to find production numbers for the Mossberg model 479RR limited edition lever action .30-30 Roy Rogers signature rifles.

I have hearsay that says Mossberg was supposed to produce a run of 5000 pieces but halted production at around 1500-1600 sometime in 1983.

Can anyone here be of any help?

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per book, "Mossberg, More Gun for the Money", numbers were RR-XXXX and estimated only 500-1,000 ever left the factory in 1983. Blueing problems.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were bluing problems their only (major) issue?

I found one with a serial number less than 100. Is it worth anything?
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were bluing problems their only (major) issue?

I found one with a serial number less than 100. Is it worth anything?

Question #1: Per the book, they had problems getting the blued metal to accept the receiver etchings. Too many rejects for finish stopped production.

Question #2: As with other commemoratives, unless the gun is in new condition with box and all paperwork, value is not great. If it shows any sign of use, it's just a shooter.

FWIW: Most 472's and 479's I've seen for sale are thought by the sellers (and the prospective buyers) to be Marlins.