In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt lightning rifle

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
Just traded for a Colt Lightning Rifle, round barrel, Elliot's patent,serial number 5891, 32-20.Book doesn't describe this gun.Does not have the Colt emblem the side of the receiver.Can you shed some light on this gun?

Comments

• hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cal. 32-20, Elliots Pat. Patents may 29th,1988-Sept 18,1883.No dust cover ,round barrel made in 1891.Never seen one like this and could use some info.
    edited November -1
    Just acquired a Small Frame (.22 cal) and am hesitant to disassemble until I knlw a little more. Can anyone point me to instructions, even an exploded parts picture? TIA, Jerry
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pic's would help. I once work on a Colt lighting rifle in 22 rimfire. It wasn't the best design pump rifle IMHO.

Make a junk mail address, then go to photobucket and up load your pic's there. Copy the links and follow the info in this ling to post them here. http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Like your book, you provided very few details for us to help you. Pics would definitely help.

It's a "Medium frame" model, manufactured in 1885 out of a total production of nearly 90,000 from 1884-1902. It should have a 26" barrel correct? What are the patent dates? Round or octagon? Sliding breech cover?
    edited November -1
    It is a round barrel, Elliots patn,May 29th,1888-Sept 18th,1883
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter.b
    It is a round barrel, Elliots patn,May 29th,1888-Sept 18th,1883

Why did you start another thread? http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=650670 There's no reason for that and will only confuse things.

I'll ask again: What is the barrel length? Does it have a sliding breech cover? What are all of the frame and barrel markings?

Please go to your other thread and delete it by clicking the trash can icon. icon_delete_reply.gif
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I suspect you have what is called a MEDIUM frame rifle they are the only model that was chambered in 32/20 as to the Colt Emblem
    I also suspect it was there at one time and has worn off they were very very lightly marked. If you want double click on my user name and send me a personal email and I can give you year made . Be aware many of the 32/20 have bad bores . also one thing to check as to
    safety on a lightning is to make sure the rifle locks up there is a part that wears and makes the rifle unsafe to shoot. With the hammer back you should NOTbe able to pump the action the action should only allow you to cyle from a HAMMER DOWN to start with

edit II made 1885 they made 3 different ones Carbine Rifle round barrel rifle octagon barrel Early guns YOURS no dust cover but problematic also ejector port much smaller
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I suspect you have what is called a MEDIUM frame rifle they are the only model that was chambered in 32/20 as to the Colt Emblem
    I also suspect it was there at one time and has worn off they were very very lightly marked. If you want double click on my user name and send me a personal email and I can give you year made . Be aware many of the 32/20 have bad bores . also one thing to check as to
    safety on a lightning is to make sure the rifle locks up there is a part that wears and makes the rifle unsafe to shoot. With the hammer back you should NOTbe able to pump the action the action should only allow you to cyle from a HAMMER DOWN to start with

Karl - I posted above that it's a Medium Frame model that was manufactured in 1885. Do you have a different DOM?
    edited November -1
    Wilson book shows 1891. I was told early guns did not have the emblem.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter.b
    Wilson book shows 1891. I was told early guns did not have the emblem.

If you show 1891, you must be missing a digit in the serial number of 5891 you posted above.
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1