In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 WIN MAG RELOADING/454 Casull

Flatfooted1Flatfooted1 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
For the last year I have been reloading for the fantastic cartridge know as the .45 WinMag with alot of success using CopperWashed 230 gr bullets.

16.5 gr of Blue Dot has given me terrific results as well as

22.5 gr of H110

Im starting to branch out a bit and would love to know what people might be using with 250gr XTP bullets from Hornady

as I am going to start some long range silhouette shooting

as a side issue.....I've begun loading .454 casulll in my Raging Bull Taurus

I have the same 250 gr bullets but I have heard that they are not ideal given the thinner nature of the jackets *Im told they are more for 45 long colt.

I would love to know if anyone is using hard cast lead for this one or the win mag

any loading data used by myself or anyone else reading this should be aware that they accept all responsibility for its use and should do so with further consultation with proven loading manuals.

Just throwing the disclaimer out there because I know some people just blindly use whatever people put out there sometimes.

My loads are are on the milder side of the spectrum and have been used for a full year without any signs of over pressures.

thankyou in advance for any suggestions that you all might offer and looking forward to reading the responses when I get home from work and hit the reloading room.

MM

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flatfooted1,

A couple of questions, to start. What platform are you shooting the 45 Win Mag in? What kind of performance are you looking for? High energy, or comfortable plinking?

I shoot a lot of hard cast bullets...the ones that are for plinking, and kept under 1000fps, are just standard hard cast, or sometimes copper washed. The higher end stuff, is always, either jacketed, or is a hard cast, with a gas check. No, copper washed/plated is not a substitute for a jacket, or gas check. The copper plated bullets are designed to ease lead fouling, for extended range sessions, or competition rounds.

For a high end load, in anything, it is hard to beat the XTP bullet. If you are using your hand cannon, to ward off big critter's, with teeth and long toenails, then I go to the heaviest gas checked, hard cast, that my gun, and I can shoot well...it does no good to have a 500 Whiz Bang, if you are scared to shoot it, and can not hit the broad side of a barn, from standing inside it.

Best

EDIT 1
    quote:PS ...Ive never used "gas checks" before....but Im looking to broaden my spectrum of possible loadings so to speak.

always interested in knowing what others thoughts are on the subject of loading.

I find its the best way to learn more and continue my education about the subject.

Many thanks in advance

Mark M.

That is a great way to look at it, and you have come to the right place! You might also chime in on the reloader's forum, if you have not done so, already.

I have found, with leading, the best way to clean it, it to try to prevent as much of it as possible.

For range fun, I try to keep the speed, between 800, and 1000fps, and have no problem, using a quality hardcast, that is properly lubricated. If you start getting your speeds much higher than that, the pressures and temperature rise also, and you start atomizing the alloy off the base of your bullet, and depositing in the bore. That is where the plated rounds help, and the gas checked rounds work better, and the jacketed rounds work best.

As far as slamming rams, or big critter's are concerned, I still prefer a heavy for caliber gas checked hardcast, as hard as you can get them, like around 22 Brinnel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im looking for a broad range of loadings for a broad range of usage.

I won't be warding off critters with it.....I like shooting metal rams at ranges up to 200 yards

but also like the idea of being able to substitute the premium jacketed bullets for something a little less pricey if it makes any sense to do so.

I don't mind cleaning my guns after every usage.....so leading isn't at the forefront of my mind when it comes to which projectiles I choose.

The platforms will be LAR Grizzlies in .45 WinMag and a Wildey in the same caliber.

The barrel lengths are 6.5" 8" and 6" respectively.
    The .454 I use is a Raging Bull made by Taurus with a 6.5" barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PS ...Ive never used "gas checks" before....but Im looking to broaden my spectrum of possible loadings so to speak.

always interested in knowing what others thoughts are on the subject of loading.

I find its the best way to learn more and continue my education about the subject.

Many thanks in advance

Mark M.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

You can try some of the loads recommended on this page. I have found some good loads for my pistols and rifles on this website. At least it might give you a good starting point for a recipe.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45%20Win%20Mag&Weight=250&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Best,

Heavyiron