In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Griffin & Howe Mount Base

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

I've got a G&H rectangular, three hole, two pin base with a small radius over the holes on the back side. Any idea of the rifle it's for?

Still haven't figured the pic uploading.

Thank you,

Jim

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 digit number stamped on it?

Neal

EDIT: R-S is correct, it was a (sort of) universal mount that fit a number of makes. Problem is, the rifle had to be shipped to G&H so the holes could be drilled & tapped. It could be worth a fair amount, especially if rings are with it. (A G&H base with a 7 digit number stamped for a USGI M1C rifle could be worth several thousand $.)
  • vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No stamped numbers.

Have a pic in Stroebels that show one similar on a Custom M70 but it's not very clear. Is the radius for that receiver?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression, that the mount. Was universal, made to fit a number of different rifles. The base that attached to the mount and rings, were specific for a certain rifle and scope.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most G&H bases were not rifle model specific, & not intended for owner installation, as factory guns were not drilled & tapped for side mounts. Sounds like yours would fit a Win. M70.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vandj1318
    Hello All,

I've got a G&H rectangular, three hole, two pin base with a small radius over the holes on the back side. Any idea of the rifle it's for?

Still haven't figured the pic uploading.

Thank you,

Jim

It could be for almost any bolt rifle - Mauser, Winchester, Springfield. I have a 1928 made NRA Springfield Sporter bought by my Grandfather in 1928 and subsequently sent to G & H for work to include the sidemount set up. The sidemount base itself isn't all that expensive, the more expensive part is the "universal" upper with rings.
  • vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you referring to a universal as a QD double lever upper?