In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Type 99 w/ chrysanthemum

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I had the pleasure of seeing my uncle's Korean War bring back Arisaka Type 99. The first thing I looked for was the Royal Chrysanthemum. This rifle still has it.

The wood is dented but clean and shiny. The metal is starting to show some 'patina'. The bolt is clean. This is the first Type 99 I've seen with the chrysanthemum NOT ground off.

Any ball part value?

I can't post photos because I don't have the rifle.

He also showed me his P-17 Eddystone (which he thinks is a 'Springfield'). It's in amazing original shape too.

Edit: Rifle is blue/black finish (and showing some corrosion). Not parkerized. Don't know the cal but it wasn't re-stamped 30-06

The receiver was stamped 10404.

Were the rebuilt (MacArthur) rifle barrels stamped 30-06?

I noticed two spring loaded pieces on the rear sight (one on each side). Didn't touch the sight at all. Now I'm wondering if it has the 'air craft' sight. I had a Type 99 eons ago and it didn't have the same sight this one has. Guess I'll have to ask to see it again.

Uncle was an MP and claimed (today) that this rifle was NK.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to know, about the factory/arsenal originally of the Arisaka. Over and above the Mum on the receiver. Before any estimate of value.

The only Arisaka's type 99's actually issued and used during the Korean war. By our side, were ex Japanese Imperial Army rifles. That MacArthur, armed the Korean troops with. They had been rechambered to 30-06, and had been Parkerized.

I don't know about the North Koreans and Chi Com troops? I suspicion, they were using ex Russian Mosin Nagants and PPSH's. I don't know if any were armed with Arisaka's?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my uncle's bring back from WWII 6.5 type 38. No paperwork, he was an MP. I would consider it in rough shape, no mum. The story from dad was his brother shot helmet liners full of ammo with the rifle. It would clip weeds from close to as far as he could see. He thought it has better "smokeless" powder than our ammo.

I loaded some ammo for it and test fired it. Chamber seems fine and the inside of the barrel is spotless chrome.

The mum was the Emperor's property mark, it was ground off before surrender.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Rufe,
    I've bought Japanese WWII swords, pistols, and rifles that were captured durig the Korean War.
    The Koreans would fix what needed fixing, but for the most part during that war, they didn't change anything keeping the same ammo, no additional markings, etc.

I've also seen some Japanese weapons captured during Vietnam. The rifle calibers were changed on some to 7.62X39 with no external marking to denote.

Iceracerx, if you had aircraft sights, you would know it. They're about and inch and a half long on either side of the sight and fold down. You have the fitting for them, but not the fold down part. That's common for a '41-'44 rifle.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Korea was occupied by Japan during WW-2. The Japanese even had an Arsenal there. It's impossible to give value estimates sight unseen. Another key factor is if all the serial numbers on the all the numbered parts match. Any numbers found on any parts should match the last 3 numbers of the serial on the side of the receiver.
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Japanese arsenal you mentioned was Jinsen. I have one of these in wonderful condition. I sold a Nagoya a couple years on GunBroker.com in excellent cosmetic and metal condition but with some chips out of the stock and it brought $150. Jinsen is a city a short distance east of Seoul. IIRC