In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

219 zipper

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a customer who wants a Winchester M-64 in 219 zipper.Know where I can get one call 800 837 0949. Tks Clarence -- Somehow we can get it listed so GB can be compensated.

Comments

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

was the 219 Zipper cartridge ever chambered for a bolt action rifle? .. If so, what manufacturer(s) & model numbers?

Kind regards,

T.D.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone own a zipper?? Iam thinking about buying one for my collection and was wondering how accurate they are compared to a 218 bee or 22 hornet??I want to use it to varmit hunt but don't know anything about it except the ammo is expensive like the other two[;)]
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accuracy is only going to be as good as the rifle and ammo it is fed. Any cartridge is capable of fine accuracy. The 219 is no exception.

Reloading would cut ammo cost, and the brass can be formed from 30-30 brass.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot this cartridge in a drilling. Handloads,Fine shooter, sort of like the 22 HP. Both cartridges suffered from the original rifles they were introduced in. It is a rimmed cartridge so outside the original lever guns you need to go to break open type action. The loads for the lever guns were flat nosed and crimped for tube magazines. Loaded with a pointed bullet and in a good action you got yourself a unique round. Brass can be formed down from?? 25-35 maybe not sure. Are you buying a win 64? or marlin 336?
  • butchlambertbutchlambert Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The parent cartridge of the 219 Wasp. Bluestar has brass from time to time.
    Butch
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is an extremely accurate cartridge built in a custom single shot rifle. I acquired a Marlin about 45 yr. ago and at that time a set of case forming dies from RCBS was only about $40. With cases formed from plentiful 30-30's; the Speer Silver Match bullet; IMR-4064; and Remington primers I was getting 5/8" groups(loaded singly of course). Also, at that time I wasn't really into thorough barrel cleaning, only shooting at as many groundhogs and crows as I could. Crows literally blew apart at 100 to 150 yds. I even amazed myself with some long range shots on groundhogs. It was retired when I found a pre-war 70 varmit in 220 swift. Re-intrest was kindled years later, I had bought a custom made single shot action and couldn't make up my mind what to do with it.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to me that held a bunch of accuracy records until the .222 Rem came along.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bullet you may want to consider for this cartridge is the jp calhoon double cavity hp, in around 52 to 57 gr, or even the 37gr. They are made of zinc and you will get a longer length bullet per weight than normal, may take the engraving of the rifling better, allow you to seat bullet out further towards rifling and yet give enough case neck support... that is what I shot in drilling. They are explosive at 2400fps, no need to push velocity/pressure/noise. Careful if you are going to shoot this caliber in original lever guns, pointed bullets in tube mag are a no/no, and cartridge length is critical. Would be real neat in say a Ruger #1 with a Unertl .